My "new" '74 Duster- or why I need a project like a hole in the head

-
And like I said before, perhaps this thread isn’t for you.

If you no longer have to drive at night for any reason then congratulations, but I work for a living and have reasons I have to drive at night. Or more correctly, early in the morning before the sun comes up, when people with longer commutes have to hit the road.

And I dunno about where you live, but around here the brightest lights on the road are from brand new cars. And it certainly isn’t “dopers, idiots, and drunks” buying those.
Did you notice the

:poke: ?????????

Did you notice the

:poke: ?????????

Yeah, I saw it. It’s like saying “I don’t mean to be rude” and then immediately saying something rude. It’s not a free pass, you’re just being disingenuous.

Plus, you don’t drive your car at night, so I don’t see how your opinion on lighting is relevant in my build thread anyway.

Yeah, I saw it. It’s like saying “I don’t mean to be rude” and then immediately saying something rude. It’s not a free pass, you’re just being disingenuous.

Plus, you don’t drive your car at night, so I don’t see how your opinion on lighting is relevant in my build thread anyway.
Yea you are 200% correct. I should have kept my sarcastic mouth completely shut!
I guess if people wern't running down the road 85 mph they would not need such light maybe. ha...again.

Ok, latest update. I bought a set of JW Speaker Evo 2 8700 LED headlights J.W. Speaker 554941 J. W. Speaker 8700 Evo 2 DOT-Compliant Dual Burn LED Headlights | Summit Racing and installed them. As part of my wire harness upgrade I had already installed a headlight relay from @crackedback, which made a pretty significant difference with the brightness of the regular old incandescent headlights I had been running. But since the days have started getting shorter again already and my commute will soon be in the dark on my way in to work with 60 miles of driving and a decent chunk of that in "deer country" I wanted to upgrade as much as I could. Since @slantsixdan listed the JW speaker headlights as the best out there, I bit the bullet and bought them.

I did need to modify the factory buckets so the JW speaker headlights fit, I tried a few times to make it less cutting than what I ended up with but after a few trials I decided just to stop messing with it and cut the clearance I really needed. Stock bucket on the left, modified on the right. I just used a set of tin snips and filed the edges afterward
View attachment 1715966108

With the headlight in the bucket, you can see why the clearance was needed. I had tried to leave it so it was just cut out around the tallest fins in the middle, but it was still hitting around the edge and that was keeping the trim rings from sitting all the way down. So off it went!
View attachment 1715966110

I had some reservations about how they were going to look before I bought them, since they look so different from the "traditional" headlights. But after installing them, I have to say I think they look even better! And the most important part, I think they dramatically improve the vision I have on the road. Which was the whole point, since I want to keep driving in the dark!
View attachment 1715966109
Car looks awesome great pic

Looking forward with your EFI install, that is if you decide to go that way. That's the plan for my 67 Valiant one day

That is my plan, although I don't think I'll be getting to that this year.

Current goal is to get my new shop built this year, so until that's done I probably won't be undertaking any major work. I've got an oil pan seal to swap out to get back on the road at the moment, which itself is going to be a pain. I'll have to see how much has to come off to get the Milodon road race pan to drop out far enough to reseal the pan. Probably a lot!

Beyond that I have a set of 13" brakes with Viper calipers to install, been sitting on those for a good two years now. And I managed to acquire a set of 1.14" MP torsion bars, so those may go in to replace my 1.12" Firm Feel bars at some point. I also have a Bergman AutoCraft roller bearing idler arm to install, and a Firm Feel sector support kit to get on there as well. Plus a few little things here and there.

But the EFI will probably end up being next winters project, when I have a shop to get more significant work like that done again.

That is my plan, although I don't think I'll be getting to that this year.

Current goal is to get my new shop built this year, so until that's done I probably won't be undertaking any major work. I've got an oil pan seal to swap out to get back on the road at the moment, which itself is going to be a pain. I'll have to see how much has to come off to get the Milodon road race pan to drop out far enough to reseal the pan. Probably a lot!

Beyond that I have a set of 13" brakes with Viper calipers to install, been sitting on those for a good two years now. And I managed to acquire a set of 1.14" MP torsion bars, so those may go in to replace my 1.12" Firm Feel bars at some point. I also have a Bergman AutoCraft roller bearing idler arm to install, and a Firm Feel sector support kit to get on there as well. Plus a few little things here and there

What EFI system are you planning to use? Apologies if this is mentioned somewhere in your thread already.

What EFI system are you planning to use? Apologies if this is mentioned somewhere in your thread already
I’ve been looking at the Edelbrock Pro-Flo. I like that it’s got multi-port injection and its own distributor. That said I’ve also hear the issues with the intake needing more work and the distributor being too tall, so it’s gonna be a winter project for sure so I have more time to deal with any issues.

I’ve been looking at the Edelbrock Pro-Flo. I like that it’s got multi-port injection and its own distributor. That said I’ve also hear the issues with the intake needing more work and the distributor being too tall, so it’s gonna be a winter project for sure so I have more time to deal with any issues.
That kit seems like a really good value. That super victor EFI intake is over $500 alone. I think Pete Bergman has some experience with that kit.

That kit seems like a really good value. That super victor EFI intake is over $500 alone. I think Pete Bergman has some experience with that kit.

Yeah I’ve talked to Peter about it, he shortened the distributor for one of his installs.

It seems like a great kit, biggest issues are general casting stuff for the intake mostly.

How the %^&*(*^% do you get that much caster?

I've done it two different ways at this point. Right now it's with a set of SPC UCA's from @BergmanAutoCraft, they have more than enough adjustment to get even more caster than that although on my car at least I've found that ~6.5° is the sweet spot. If I go too much under +6° the tracking tendency of the wide 275 front tires becomes more noticeable. But much above +6.5° and the resistance to turning starts increasing exponentially, it starts getting a lot harder to turn the wheels past about +7°.
IMG_4411.JPG

The other way I managed that much + caster was actually with a non-adjustable set of magnumforce UCA's, but with K7103 offset bushings installed into them. I was actually able to get about +8° with that set up, which I accidentally discovered by just setting a rough "max caster" alignment because I didn't think it would be nearly that much and found out later when I did a proper alignment how much caster I had actually dialed in. The problem with doing it that way is that you're committed to running at least +5° or more of caster, because all you've got is the camber bolts to do the adjusting.

IMG_4377.JPG

I went with the Terminator X, solely for the fact that I expect Holley to support that ECU for far longer than eddy will the pro-flo. Lots more info on tuning the Holleys out there as well.

Have you thought about splicing in a Prius EPAS system for power steering?

I went with the Terminator X, solely for the fact that I expect Holley to support that ECU for far longer than eddy will the pro-flo. Lots more info on tuning the Holleys out there as well.

Have you thought about splicing in a Prius EPAS system for power steering?

Yeah that’s definitely a consideration as well for the EFI, although I think it’s pretty easy to get too far into the weeds with some of that. I liked the integrated distributor that the Eddy has, but I haven’t looked into the latest offerings from Holley either as the EFI conversion isn’t my first priority at the moment.

I have looked into some of the EPAS systems, but I’m pretty happy with the manual steering for now. I really haven’t had any issues with it, and I haven’t found it to be as bad for effort as it sounds like it should be. It would be pretty slick to incorporate EPAS and a steering quickener to step down to a 12:1 steering ratio though!

It would be pretty slick to incorporate EPAS and a steering quickener to step down to a 12:1 steering ratio though!

I was no where near the level of potential steering effort you are but made the switch to power steering winter before last. Not because the effort was too high, but because the 20:1 ratio was just too slow.

I had actually planned to step up to a 16:1 manual box but had most of a factory PS setup already and figured that would be the cheap way to get a faster ratio. Then I got $200 off a Borgeson box in a Goodguys drawing so I made the leap and jumped right over the 16:1 ratio to 14:1 but spent more money than the 16:1 manual box would have cost me.

The 20:1 box was just too slow for the local roundabouts. Probably wouldn't have cared if they hadn't started putting those in.

I was no where near the level of potential steering effort you are but made the switch to power steering winter before last. Not because the effort was too high, but because the 20:1 ratio was just too slow.

I had actually planned to step up to a 16:1 manual box but had most of a factory PS setup already and figured that would be the cheap way to get a faster ratio. Then I got $200 off a Borgeson box in a Goodguys drawing so I made the leap and jumped right over the 16:1 ratio to 14:1 but spent more money than the 16:1 manual box would have cost me.

The 20:1 box was just too slow for the local roundabouts. Probably wouldn't have cared if they hadn't started putting those in.
Well I can tell you from experience that a 20:1 manual box SUCKS on an autox with a sharp S and a hairpin! Talk about arms flailing EVERYWHERE!
:lol:

Yeah I think the 16:1 ratio is ok for how quick it actually turns.

The steering effort really isn’t a big deal as long as I’m doing more than 15 mph or so. It gets pretty heavy for say, a parallel parking maneuver, but I don’t really do enough of that for it to be an issue.

My only concern would be that on a slow speed AutoX course it would be too much effort. On a faster AutoX course it would ok, and it seems like most of the events set up for these cars are fairly open and quick for an AutoX. If the Miata club sets the course it might be a different story!

What did you have to do to get the tires to fit?

The 275's in front?

Originally not much, I run the 275/35/18's on 18x9's with about 6.1" of backspace if you take out the extra track width I get from the 13" DoctorDiff brakes. I extended the lower fender brace by about 2" to push the corner further out and cut the lip back at a 45° angle or so.

IMG_8951.JPG

IMG_8950.JPG

At that point the car was probably lowered ~ 1.5" from stock. As I've lowered the car further I rolled the lip on the fenders, and then rolled them again and added a little "push" to the fender with the fender roller. But that was to get down to lowered about 2" from stock, and my tires never rub on the fenders. I'm maxed out for lowering at the moment though, I started to get witness marks from the tops of the tires on the bottom side of my inner fenders. Currently the top of the wheel opening is about 24 7/8" from the ground, and I get a little more compression travel with the QA1 LCA's I run.

I've seen people do less to run 275's but since I use this car as my primary driver most of the year I don't use "show car" clearances, it has to do speed bumps, pot holes, steep driveway transitions etc.

Yeah...I think 275 is a bit much for me. Maybe I'll run a 235 or 245...

245's are a pretty popular size, lots of 245/40/18's or 245/45/17's available. Run with a 5.5"-5.7" backspace on an 8" wide rim and there should be plenty of room all around.

I want a 275 front tire bad.

But when I step up to an 18x9 wheel I will probably start with a 245/40R18 and see how they fit is on my car first. Partly because I see the 245/40 all over the place used on Marketplace and I have seen exactly one 275/35R18. So something cheap that I am pretty sure works seems like a better gamble than jumping right to the 275 and maybe needing to massage some sheetmetal right away. I expect to do some massaging at some point, but nice to take it in smaller chunks.

The other reason I am looking at a 245/40 first is the source for 35-38mm offset wheels seems really small. I found an 18x9 +30mm wheel I like for a price I am comfortable with and figured I would start there. Worst case, having the wheel widened 1/2" in the back would push the offset back to about +36mm. Can't say it would be cheaper than buying a wheel with the right offset to begin with, but it's just an idea right now.

The other factor I have to be careful of is that I need to make sure whatever 18" wheel I pick will work with my homebrewed Brembo kit. Most manufacturers don't seem to have much to say about it, so I have been focusing on wheels that might fit a 2009 GT500, which is why I am leaning towards the AM 2010 GT500 wheel. Others might fit, but not ready to order one and hope I can send it back if it won't work.

Add that my hubs are already machined to match a Mustang hub (outside of issues with the depth of the hub) and it makes some sense to be looking at wheels that would fit a GT500.

245’s can be run pretty easily on the Duster’s. I’ve got 245/45/17s are on my Duster. I’ll have to measure to my wheel opening to compare to Brian’s Duster, but I’m running an HDK slammer suspension so I’m pretty sure it’s every bit as lower if not lower. I didn’t do anything to the fenders when I had it lowered on 1.03 torsion bars, but the HDK ended up dropping it at least another inch and the tire would rub the lip at full lock, so I ended up rolling the fender lips.
6D2CB3D3-9A2D-4FD5-A3B8-3EE3FA728C49.jpeg

I guess here I had it at 23.5” but I think I raised it up some due to the tires hitting the bottom of the inner fender when I hit decent sized bumps.

EE169ED1-C6B3-4C15-AFF9-807645C6B6CB.jpeg

-
Back