My New Garage

-

67_Slimer

Real Hot Rods don't shift themselves.
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the proper area to post but let me know. My wife thought it would be a good idea to build my dream garage/man cave and I'm not arguing. Let me know what you think. Dimensions are 16' x 24' with 15' ceiling and a 6" slab to accommodate a lift in the future. I'll post pics gradually to show the progress. I couldn't be any happier with the outcome. Here's the foundation.

garage 11.jpg

garage9.jpg

garage 10.jpg

Finished shots inside. Heat installed , My flat screen and all my tools ,pictures and banners. Now I can enjoy it!!

garage.jpg

garage 1.jpg

Always exciting, regardless of the size, having a new man cave built! Nicely done! Great idea on the extra height so a lift can be purchased down the road so the Dart is still indoors but out of the way during the winters!

Curious why you didn’t get a high lift garage door track installed from the outset? Depending on how long a lift you get, you might need to reconfigure the door tracks when the lift comes?

Always exciting, regardless of the size, having a new man cave built! Nicely done! Great idea on the extra height so a lift can be purchased down the road so the Dart is still indoors but out of the way during the winters!

Curious why you didn’t get a high lift garage door track installed from the outset? Depending on how long a lift you get, you might need to reconfigure the door tracks when the lift comes?
I honestly wasn't leaning towards the lift but went with the high ceiling and thicker floor so if I ever do decide to put one I already have that done. He recommended the higher track like you mentioned and will have to do that down the road if I do decide to put the lift in. I figured it wont be as bad if that's all there is to do. I even have an electrical box in the ceiling right above where the lift will be installed.

Very nice indeed! My wife let me build mine last year just before I retired. I went with steel it was half the price of wood. 24" deep 34" wide. It has 12 foot ceilings and I went with 6" floor for a two post lift down the road as well. But I can tell you mine is too small already, LOL. Although I do still have the main shop at the house but she takes that one over in the summer for her Challenger. Got to love a good women!

IMG20221215164847.jpg

IMG20230113135151.jpg

IMG20230816165100.jpg

IMG20231119143834.jpg

I think I married the wrong woman.
:rofl: Wait, there's more!! I don't know if I should tell you this , but I sold my Dart 20 years ago to get a house because I was getting married and my wife is the one who insisted I find my old car to buy it back instead of settling for something else. I told her it will never happen , well it did lol.

Very nice indeed! My wife let me build mine last year just before I retired. I went with steel it was half the price of wood. 24" deep 34" wide. It has 12 foot ceilings and I went with 6" floor for a two post lift down the road as well. But I can tell you mine is too small already, LOL. Although I do still have the main shop at the house but she takes that one over in the summer for her Challenger. Got to love a good women!

View attachment 1716187243

View attachment 1716187244

View attachment 1716187245

View attachment 1716187246
Beautiful shop!! Love that lift!!

Good deal. That's the way to go! Good job. Oh, and you will get a lift :thumbsup: Look on Facebook market place. That's where I found mine.

I honestly wasn't leaning towards the lift but went with the high ceiling and thicker floor so if I ever do decide to put one I already have that done. He recommended the higher track like you mentioned and will have to do that down the road if I do decide to put the lift in. I figured it wont be as bad if that's all there is to do. I even have an electrical box in the ceiling right above where the lift will be installed.
Great idea pre planning with the electrical in the ceiling for when the time comes.

Once you have a lift you quickly realise how handy it is, even if it’s mainly used for storage!

IMG_3848.jpeg

Love the new shop, and I like the big long window up high, I put two small windows in mine, 30x40x12 , wife has taken up half of it, well, we took up half for our mod retro and vintage treasures we sell.
I have yet to this day hear anyone say there shop is to big.

imagejpeg_0(2).jpg

Love the new shop, and I like the big long window up high, I put two small windows in mine, 30x40x12 , wife has taken up half of it, well, we took up half for our mod retro and vintage treasures we sell.

View attachment 1716187679
This works well for natural light

IMG_3827.JPG

I assure you these shops can never be too big! My new one's interior dimensions are 50'x34' with 14' ceilings and it's too small. But I love it and am grateful for it!!
20231211_093209.jpg

View attachment 1716187679
Now That's awesome!! I was reluctant about windows because of privacy and security but my contractor was persistent about me putting one in so we compromised. He actually had that window leftover from a job he couldn't use it on. It's a storm rated window. Up high for security and privacy but lets so much natural light in.

I assure you these shops can never be too big! My new one's interior dimensions are 50'x34' with 14' ceilings and it's too small. But I love it and am grateful for it!!
View attachment 1716187691
Damn!! That's huge!! I was limited on space because of building codes so as long as I have enough space for my Dart , I'm happy.

Now That's awesome!! I was reluctant about windows because of privacy and security but my contractor was persistent about me putting one in so we compromised. He actually had that window leftover from a job he couldn't use it on. It's a storm rated window. Up high for security and privacy but lets so much natural light in.
He is right, I wish I had a sky light, may do one one day, its darker then a cave at night in the shop, and when I turn on my 8 8ft led lights its like a flash and about freaks with my eye balls

-
Back