My new Project 73 dusty

-

JAG_mopar

Reaction score
Here goes the money. I will be trying not to take this car off the road for any length of time. All upgrades will be done while driving it. I do not want to have two projects in pieces at the same time. Progress on my 70 RR convertible has stalled while I work on some SEP (Someone Else's Project) and the Duster.

Luckily, this car is super solid for have lived in South Florida all of it's life. It must have been garaged kept. All the rubber is soft and the interior is untouched and in great shape. The odometer says 61k and the floor mat hardly has any ware. The door hinges are perfect. The only damage are signs of having the quarters scraped up a bit and the rear bumper tapped. Probably from the elderly driver parking in the garage.

The first thing I bought for this car is a 65-67 B body rear. I will be moving the perches to make fit in this duster. I will be gathering other parts for the front disc conversion and suspension rebuild. The next step is to remove the /6 and install a running 383 that I have laying around (was built for the RR).

I will try to post my progress as it goes.

Thanks FABO

View attachment IMG_2452[1].jpg

Looks like a fantastic starting point for a project. What is the plan. From the B body rear sounds like modern sized rims and rubber to start.

exactly correct on the rubber Rapom, My friend has a set of 18s from a Dart project that was totaled. The goal is to get the car lower and handle, while not breaking the bank. I also considered a similar color as it is but in flat\semi gloss.

Awesome! I really like that butterscotch and black theme that's going on with it.

I have a 74 Duster in a similar shade of yellowish tan/tannish yellow that I constantly waffle on what color to finish it in. With my mods it would be hard to pass it off as a sleeper but I keep comming back to the stock color as a definite possibility. It would be different than the direction most guys would go.

Started on the project this weekend by taking out the 7.25 rear. I was going to use my rear in a Duster that came in to the shop for some mechanical restoration. I did not know that they made two different styles of 7.25. I tried to use my SBP rear in place of a LBP 7.25, but I found that not only were the axles different but also the brakes, bearings and backing plate mounts. Now I am in the process of looking for another 7.25 or 8.25 LBP rear for this customer car.

If any one is reading this and can point me in the right direction to purchase one in the florida area, let me know.

What was different on the rear, I know about every thing from the backing plates outwards is.
Is the axles different widths or the splines on the axles?

What was different on the rear, I know about every thing from the backing plates outwards is. Is the axles different widths or the splines on the axles?

I will have to compare the axles a little more closely if you like. The axles appear to be close in specs except the outer axle bearing OD were larger on the LBP axle. The LBP axle also has a 5 bolt retainer compared to the SBP which has 4 bolts.

I cant believe it has been 3 years since I posted in this thread. Due to unforseen circumstances as you can see in the picture. It is time to make a change and update the Duster. More pictures to come

IMG_5175.JPG

-
Back