My New Rotisserie

-
Have you put a car on it yet? Just wondered how much it flexes and gives,most of the ones I have seen are 3 and 3 1/2 steel.I would like to build one myself.

It's going to be a few weeks before I can get my car up onto it. I'll post some shots and let you know how sturdy it is.
In the meantime I'll put a caster in the center of the center span. Plus I'm working on a lifting system as well.

Ted

Hey guys & gals. I just put the finishing touches on my rotisserie.
I found the plans on line and its A body specific & I made a few of my own improvements. The total cost was just under $400.
If anyone is looking into building one I'd be happy to help with how we put this one together.

Ted

Not dissing, but with no braces to the center, it will bind up. And still a mf with bigger tubing and the jacks on each end; still binds up.

Well my thoughts on the caster are these. That lower connector is a pretty long span to be unsuported and it flexes pretty good just pushing it around without a car on it. So just think if there is a stripped uni-body car on it without any type of frame connectors it would be constantly pushing and pulling on the entire car from the mounting points. Possibly creating an issue down the road.
I'm not trying to start a large debate here about whats right or wrong. All I'm saying (and a few folks here as well) is that a little added support will make this a little better design.

As I posted earlier. I used the same plans, and added some mods. Holds my cuda fine. Pics are posted in new hemi swaps. Fine job you did.

I just scored this one off CraigsList for $600. One of the cylinders needs oil. Not sure if it's toast. The other one seems to work but the chrome is rusty on both of them. Worst case they're $55 at harbor freight. Also some of the casters have bad bearings and it's missing the square tubing that connects the two ends together.

I was thinking about modifying this one to include the threaded rod to adjust the center of gravity. Anyone think that's worth the trouble?

Also, I'd be curious to see what other's have done for mounting brackets for an early A body. This one has extra square tubing and brackets welded on. Not sure what they fit.

Attachments

• P0004_110311.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 160
-
Back