My new trans cooler set up!!!

-

younggun2.0

Reaction score
almost ready to mount my transmission cooler set up in the car. the rack you see in the pictures will mount on the under side of my trunk floor. i have a fuel cell in the trunk. the spare tire well has been cut out and a flat sheet of 16ga. steel is now in its place. the rack is made of 1"x1" 1/16" wall steel tube. it is intended to mount the trans coolers as well as support the fuel cell in the trunk. i went with a duel cooler set up because i dont want to run a fan on the cooler and i do not want to mount it up front of the radiator. this should provide more than enough cooling.

transcooler3_zps80f9745d.jpg

transcooler2_zps4cf80db5.jpg

i have used rubber bushings between the coolers and the rack in order to let them float and not be damaged with chassis flex.
transcooler1_zpsd24963e1.jpg

The more I see from your work,the more I enjoy your posts.Wow!

I was think wtf... then you mentioned where you were putting it and not want a fan.

Looks good.

Maybe fab up some ducting to get airflow over the coolers.

i think that with the car moving i should get plenty of air on them. thought about making a sheet metal pan that would direct air toward them. i think that the size of these will be plenty of cooling. they are both 9X11"

Looks good!

I will be fabing up my Dual trans Coolers tomorrow. I am using 2-18" Tubular style coolers, the ones with the fins on them and have the inlet and outlet on the same side. They will be mounted behind the rear axle like yours. My spare tire well is still intact. I am hoping that mounting them back there away from the heat of the radiator and engine will help keep the trans cool. I do not have anymore room up front for anything else except a tubular/canister style radiator overflow tank.

Looks good!

I will be fabing up my Dual trans Coolers tomorrow. I am using 2-18" Tubular style coolers, the ones with the fins on them and have the inlet and outlet on the same side. They will be mounted behind the rear axle like yours. My spare tire well is still intact. I am hoping that mounting them back there away from the heat of the radiator and engine will help keep the trans cool. I do not have anymore room up front for anything else except a tubular/canister style radiator overflow tank.

you mean that you cant fit anything else around that tiny little small block? ha ha ha your car has alot more going on then mine. i dont have the balls to tackle a project like yours. you my friend are an animal. you are building an extremely impressive machine.

Did somebody get a tube bender kit for their birthday? You are installing a trans temp gauge, right?

Did somebody get a tube bender kit for their birthday? You are installing a trans temp gauge, right?

i do plan to install a temp guage. it will go into the trans pan. i have a deep sump aluminum pan. i will be drilling a hole in the side of the pan and welding in a threaded bung.

I think you'll need more free air space behind the coolers.

i left the mounting studs long for that reason. if need be i can put up to 3/4" spacers between the coolers and the mount.

Would you mind posting what your temps are when you get this setup going? I see these alternate location installs often enough to make me curious as to how well they work. I want to impress upon you that I am in no way picking on you or being negative in any way, shape or form. I like the work that you are doing and would like to know how well this works. If for nothing other than information.

My understanding has always been that any heat exchanger of this style has to have airflow through the fins and cores. Your install has air more or less going across the coolers. I've seen this more than a couple times on various street rods and whatnot and am really interested to see what the temps actually are. It's one thing to have someone say they've never had a trans problem, but to have someone show what the results are would be cool.

Would you mind posting what your temps are when you get this setup going? I see these alternate location installs often enough to make me curious as to how well they work. I want to impress upon you that I am in no way picking on you or being negative in any way, shape or form. I like the work that you are doing and would like to know how well this works. If for nothing other than information.

My understanding has always been that any heat exchanger of this style has to have airflow through the fins and cores. Your install has air more or less going across the coolers. I've seen this more than a couple times on various street rods and whatnot and am really interested to see what the temps actually are. It's one thing to have someone say they've never had a trans problem, but to have someone show what the results are would be cool.

ya i have no problem reporting how well these work. its all trial and error at this point. i have the same concerns as you do about the cooling. that is why i have the two of them running inline. it will be awhile before i have any feedback as the car is not yet running.

ya i have no problem reporting how well these work. its all trial and error at this point. i have the same concerns as you do about the cooling. that is why i have the two of them running inline. it will be awhile before i have any feedback as the car is not yet running.

No worries man, like I said, I've seen it more than just a few times and am curious. Look at a lot of those early street rods and you'll see what I mean. I've even seen tranny coolers mounted next to mufflers. (No kidding).

-
Back