My newly purchased project

-

1BadDodge71

FABO Rice Hater
Reaction score
Well,after almost 2 years of Ebay and internet searches,ironicly I discovered this gem in a field just 10 miles away from my house! :blob:
Its a 72 Duster with a slant 6 and I was more than happy to plop down the $900 for her.It even has the factory wheel jack,spare tire and owners manual and warrany info.It's pretty solid other then the usual rust on the rear quarters,common on these Dusters.The floors are very solid and the trunk is solid,with only minor surface rust(i'll post pics soon)Im not sure why the timing cover was removed but I am going to see if she will fire up and see if the Slant 6 is damaged.I'm sure it will be replaced with a V8,but i,ve had numberous people telling me to restore it to factory(with the 6)
Thanks for letting me share this and i'll update if any progress.

Picture019.gif

Picture020.gif

Picture025.gif

Picture023.gif

Picture027.gif

Picture024.gif

Looks like you have a good project car! Usually you find cars right under your nose. I always try to look in the least likely spots, sometimes it pays off! I would ditch the slant eyed six and go with a V-8! Maybe hang on to it incase it is worth something some day.

DragginMAster said:
is that a... Sock on the front of the engine?

What? you've never heard of putting a sock up front to make it look bigger? Where have you been all these years?

DragginMAster said:
is that a... Sock on the front of the engine?

Lol,yeah,its a sock.I guess i shouldve removed it for the pic(Along with the mouse droppings on top of the air cleaner)but I had just took these pics right after it was towed home and didnt have time to do anything to it(including removing the sock)lol.Im still in the planning stages with it so I see it as a clean slate as to how I'm going to build her.the only thing I hate is that someone cut the dash for the slide in radio, and cut the rear panels for speakers,but thats no big deal.its supposed to be warm tommorow so Im going to pull the seats out and the vinyl floor mat up to look at the floors.They look good and from underneath the car,but I want to check under the mat too.I would hate for my foot to go through the floor when I hit the gas. :-|

haha..too funny! I've seen mice, I've seen spiders, I've heard of snakes and other rodents, but that's the first argyle sock I've seen inhabiting the engine bay!

I think you outta send a photo of that one to a magazine or something.

Congrats on the good Duster project....keep us in the loop!

hey man I've got one question is your alternator new? 'cause i've got a \6 and i've got a new one from the previous owners. and so do some other people i've seen with \6's that they've just gotten. Is there something just wrong with stock mopar Alternators?

Doesn't look bad at all. I like that color. Maybe you can get the six running decent and use it while you build up a V8, although some people can really get those sixes to perform quite well. Good luck with it. Mike

Looks like a dandy to me and the glass looks good too!!
The sock was ment to keep the dirt dobbers out of the water jaket.
so that might be a good sign that the motor was worth saving.
Under the hood look's unmolested!! put a new trimming chain in and give it a drink.
good find 1BadDodge71 I see some good hub caps too!! did you get all 4?

i usually put a winter wool sock on the front of my slant 6 to give that "bigger" look.

i love 72's for the cool tail lights.

memike said:
Looks like a dandy to me and the glass looks good too!!
The sock was ment to keep the dirt dobbers out of the water jaket.
so that might be a good sign that the motor was worth saving.
Under the hood look's unmolested!! put a new trimming chain in and give it a drink.
good find 1BadDodge71 I see some good hub caps too!! did you get all 4?
yeah,all 4 hup caps are there.they are a little dinged up,but not too bad.Yeah,I had it running for a minute and there was no knocking noise or anything,just smoked a little.Im sure the gas is bad in it.It didnt want to stay on and the plugs are pretty foul.i may drain the gas this weekend,put the radiator and stuff back on,change the oil,the plugs ,etc and see how it runs.Im just curious.

-
Back