My next young gun is starting to get his wrench on..... The search begins...

-

ragtopfury

Reaction score
I'm Having flashbacks to 11 years ago when I reached out to the owner of Jake's 65 and we drug it home for $400.

So Josh is 14.5 years old. Started hanging all weekend at Carlisle a couple of years ago, like his brother Jake did when he was entering his teens. Josh started high school this year and with that comes all the things young teenagers start getting drawn to. We won't get into ALL those other things here and keep this thread car related... LOL It's a good feeling to watch him start to get his "wrench" on as he wants to get his hands dirty/greasy a little more and more. About a year ago, he helped me assemble the low buck 360 for the Shelby Dakota and generally is enjoying just hanging with his older brother and/or I if/when we have to wrench on something.

All I got was a phone number and an email address and - "this guy wants to sell this, it's been sitting for a few years and he wants it gone". Supposedly complete, but needs a lot of love. We shall see, as I haven't even seen a pic of it yet. It's an hour and a half from me. That's all I know at the moment.

So with great pride this morning, I made an inquiry about a 73 Dart Sport. Left the guy a voicemail and sent an email. Hoping for a steal of a deal - like under a grand, because i'm sometimes cheap and he doesn't have a job yet...lol.

You're doing a great job bringing them up! Kids now a days all they care about is there phone. Getting them hands on is the way to go!

I think Josh is about to get a new job, well working a new project.

Not many left out there for the price you are looking to pay, wish you luck.
I do know where a 68 formula S 340 car is, pretty original car but, needs love.

Not many left out there for the price you are looking to pay, wish you luck.
I do know where a 68 formula S 340 car is, pretty original car but, needs love.

Been almost 2 weeks, but finally got a hold of the guy with the 73 Dart Sport mentioned in my opening post. Hes talking cheap. Right up my alley. LOL
Looks like we're taking a 90 min ride with the car trailer Saturday morning.

Stay tuned....

Last edited:
Ha - I have that 360 block and a 2nd one both in the shed..... we stopped doing Myrtle just so I don't have to tell you NO. LoL

Been almost 2 weeks, but finally got a hold of the guy with the 73 Dart Sport mentioned in my opening post. Hes talking cheap. Right up my alley. LOL
Looks like we're taking a 90 min ride with the car trailer Saturday morning.

Stay tuned....
Sounds like a fun trip, I hope the car is worth it.

Last night, we confirmed that Saturday is a go. I learned that he is a Ford man with a couple of matching 69 Mustangs and just wants this Dart gone. Still no pics of it, but it sounds like exactly what we are looking for. Missing it's slant 6 and 904, solid frame rails, interior is complete and just dirty, needs carpet, floors starting to pucker, needs "a little sheet metal work" and a right door glass. Said he supports the father/son get the kid into it mentality and finished the call with " I'll make him a deal .Have your kid bring a few hundred buks and beat me down to 400. I like what you're doing". So 3 of us are going, since there is safety in numbers....LOL. This really does have the same feel to be playing out like it did with Jake's 65 in 2011. I didn't sleep much last night. The wheels are turning.....and hoping. Wish us luck!

And I told Josh that this is either going to be his diamond in the rough, or a total turd.... but either way this is his own 1st Mopar adventure.

Pulled the trailer out of the yard on my lunch break. Got the portable air tank, box of tie-downs, my chain bucket, the portable winch and a few chunks of 4x4. Aired up the trailer tires, truck tires and tested the lights. My 05 2500 is down with steering issues, so Jake will get towing honors for his little brother's adventure as we have to use his 01 1500. I even filled his tank for him.
20221209_143638.jpg

Ok, the details. I found an old Craigslist add for the car, after talking to the owner's stepson the other day. This is all that was shown
Screenshot_20221208-060625_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221208-060653_Chrome.jpg

We get there today and we are reasonably pleased. Will need lower qtrs, dog legs for the fenders. Both rear corners at the tail panel will need a little work. Headliner is falling out. The worse of the body is the front/leading edge of the roof. Seats were nicely redone in a tuck/roll some time in the past and sit very well. They just need scrubbed real good. Dash is uncut. The right side door glass might be in the trunk - there are 2 left and 2 right windows packed nicely with the door panels. BTW - it has the fold down rear seat. Drum brake car, no AC, has power steering.

20221210_094852.jpg

20221210_094903.jpg

20221210_100736.jpg

20221210_100850.jpg

20221210_103557.jpg

And pics of the car overall.... definitely a lot better to start with for Josh, than what Jake started with on his 65.
20221210_123819.jpg

20221210_123923.jpg

20221210_123947.jpg

20221210_125315.jpg

20221210_125704.jpg

20221210_125934.jpg

20221210_130004.jpg

20221210_131653.jpg

20221210_131648.jpg

20221210_132807.jpg

Well......now I'm glad I didn't bum you out of that 360 that I was picking at you about a few years ago! :)

Jackie, I got to thinking, when I saw your reply in another thread about going disks on your 65....
As I pass thru NC on my way to Disney this summer, I'd be glad to drop that 360 block off along the way, and you can just drop that long ram set up, that you found in your trunk, in the bed of my truck....... Heck, I'll bring both 360 blocks..... LOLOLOL

LOL....I'm all the way in the Western end of NC. You'd be :realcrazy: to come thru here and have to drag Ol Sunnybrook thru Atlanta! If you need the long rams, we can work something out. They are just a conversation piece laying on the top shelf in my shop. You can barely see one of them in this pic, laying under the spare terrarium that @65 Dartman gave me a while back.
IMG_1537.JPG

If I remember the advertisements for the fold down rear seat, that makes it a "convertriple". I wonder what marketing whiz came up with that name...

Sounds like a great project. Thanks for raising those Mopar Men.

Well, if you head to Myrtle the same day I head out to see Mickey, and we just happen to intersect on i95 as all the stars and planets align just right in the universe, we could drop to a slow roll and never have to stop................

Just messing with you. I going to run a 6pack on the 383-ish motor going in the 68. I'd have to massage the inner fenders to get the long ram on there. They'd end up on a different shelf collecting my dust instead of yours.

-
Back