My old help thread revisited

-
I am just now getting back to this. My daughter started college back last august and it shut me down for a while. Lol. Anyway, the measurements posted were .713" to .725". I measured mine( gonna do it again all across both heads to be sure ) and they came in at .693". Looks like they were milled when I had them worked and was not told. How doI know what thickness intake gasket to order? The other heads I have here come in around .750". This is a fresh build on the whole engine.

Here is a picture of one of the heads after about an hour of run time in the garage.

Most of the common intake gaskets are .060 thick. Cometic has a thicker one at .188. If you want a thinner intake gasket you might have to make one from gasket sheet stock. But thicker gaskets aren't going to seal if your angles are way off. You want to use as thin as gasket as possible.
Does the head's intake surface look like it's been milled? You might have to put the heads back on the block and start measuring the intake on the engine. You seen some of the ways I measured mine. The Hughes Engine website has in their tech department has a pretty accurate way to tell if the intake is going to seal ok.
I did mine and it looks like my angles are ok, but I'm going to call them next week to make sure. I think my problem was with the end rail clearance.

Heads were not milled on the intake side. Cosmetic makes gaskets from the .188" you mentioned all the way down to .012". Thanks for the tip on the Hughes website.

my question is in response to bobscuda67 in post #5 " You want to use as thin as gasket as possible. " for intake side gaskets, I disagree

my question is in response to bobscuda67 in post #5 " You want to use as thin as gasket as possible. " for intake side gaskets, I disagree

I know that intake gaskets creep. And if you use the thinnest gasket that will seal your intake it will move less than a thicker gasket. That's all that I was saying.
But with my luck sealing an intake, I'm no expert.

-
Back