My poor Dakota

-

tiltsix

Reaction score
Ok so I have a 01 extended cab 2 wd Dakota with the 3.9 v6 and 255000 miles.it is/was my daily/beater and I love it....So mu daughters 97 towne car broke a ball joint and I let her drive the Dakota while I was fixing her car..She called me one day and said it lost oil pressure (again) I put new oil pump in about 30000 miles ago......long story short it still runs sometimes with oil pressure most times without,always with lifter noise and bearing rattle(not knock)So here is my question.Should I pull the v/6 and do a major rebuild or opt for a junk yard 318.I am told all I need is the engine and v/8 computer............what say you???? I am on here almost daily and valu all opinions...............................................Jeff P.S. Did I mention I LOVE this truck

Welcome to FABO! I guess it is a matter of, did you like the 3.9? Or are you wanting for more? A 318 should run pretty good in a Dakota. My workplace has one with a 3.9 It seems kind of gutless until the RPMs climb, but even then it feels underpowered. I would do the 318 if it were me.

Last edited:
-
Back