My RAM, oil pan and rust....

-
Dan,

Methinks so to...

Did you have the rust over the rear wheel wells in the 6th year ? My body man said this was very common..

grassy, Actually that's probably the only place it hasn't rusted. Two years ago I put an aftermarket front bumper, rear bumper and both front fenders. I also put on two mint used doors. All in without paint it ran me about $1000. But of course I installed it all myself. If the damn thing wasn't a 4 wheel drive, and it does run excellent. I'd get rid of it.
My friends call it the clown truck. I'm not sure if they mean the truck or the driver.

Just bite the bullet pal. Had to do the same thing on my Dakota. I was worried that a make shift repair wouldn't last, and I would lose all the oil on the highway and blow the engine.

Same here with my '02 Dakota with the 4.7. Transmission pan wasn't far behind so I did 'em both. Don't remember what I paid for the pans, got 'em at NAPA as I recall.
It almost looked like the originals were painted with a base/clear paint, water got between the layers and got trapped causing the rust.

Hey Ian you are right rust sucks . I learned years ago Krown rustproofing is the way to go . I probably spent the equivalent to a body job in rust proofing but little or no rust is better than the rust. Good luck with the repairs and Krown the bejesus out of your new Heavy Duty pick-up . Later Bob

Which pan are you looking for? I have an oil pan from a 2001 Ram 5.2L. I did the magnum swap and the pan is left over. The only problem would be the shipping to Canada - costly.
Let me know.

Bit the bullet...the truck has gone in for tomorrow to have the bit replaced..

-
Back