My rant on parts sellers (Ebay and others)

-

1968FormulaS340

Reaction score
NOS = New old stock (A never used old original part)

Reproduction = A newly made copy of an original part.

NOS and Reproduction are NOT the same thing.

NOS = New old stock (A never used old original part)

Reproduction = A newly made copy of an original part.

NOS and Reproduction are NOT the same thing.

Yeah you are right... there is a lot of people out there that don't understand it and some that do.. that want to rip people off.

Good advice. Can I add to this? Explain the part the in more detail the best you can. What does it fit? What years? What cars? Photos not just 1 view 20 ft away. I see to many ads places where they don't describe it well. Do your best to gain the knowledge of what your selling if you don't know ask.

That's mostly correct. An NOS part is one made or marketed by the original automobile manufacturer through its parts arm, during or near the production run period of the car. An NORS (New old Replacement Part) is one made or marketed by a third party, like NAPA, Western Auto, Stant, Niehoff, etc. during the same time period.

A Delco part marketed through the GM dealer parts network during the correct time period for a GM car would be an NOS part. A Delco shock for a Plymouth would be NORS.

That's mostly correct. An NOS part is one made or marketed by the original automobile manufacturer through its parts arm, during or near the production run period of the car. An NORS (New old Replacement Part) is one made or marketed by a third party, like NAPA, Western Auto, Stant, Niehoff, etc. during the same time period.

A Delco part marketed through the GM dealer parts network during the correct time period for a GM car would be an NOS part. A Delco shock for a Plymouth would be NORS.

Thanks for that but I think we all knew what I was talking about.

Half or more of the NOS stuff out there is warranty return junk that someone hung onto. I'll take a used part of a car over someone's NOS junk anyday. Most of it fits worse than the afermarket crap, at least when it comes to body parts. Just venting my 2 cents

-
Back