My rods are red!!

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
I am tearing apart my motor for the first time and saw that two of my rods had a red hue to them. Is this normal or is it something I need to be concerned about?

tore down a late 68 340 one time, half the rods in it were sort of a "copper" color, never did see a reason, still got them somewhere. Same forging number and everything, just a funny color

they are re/sized rods from the factory/ they plate them then re size them a machinist told me when they screwed up the small end . (a good one that built engines for the kit cars for mopar teams) but I could be wrong.

when I worked at Chryslers Trenton engine plant (73-77) on the rod line (all up and down the darn line.) if our natco's(rod drilling station) had a small burr on the reamers or just not watching or drills,we would put them on a special line when checked bad at the honing station. that line went to a plating line that plated it in some type of plating that turned them red "ish" or bluish depending on the vendor we got the chemicals from, I liked the blue since it plated a bit thicker than the red"ish" chemical (really bad ones over 8 thou or so got a different treatment (tossed and the job setter got a write up.) after the plate line they went to the hones to resize them to correct spec's. sometimes they had to go for a second trip if close to the 8 thou mark.

Sounds like you may have one of the bada** red rod motors:glasses7:

-
Back