My Son's Hobby

-

65LoveAffair

Whovian
Reaction score
Recently, we were at a flea market in Michigan, and my son saw an old Chevrolet emblem and just had to have it. The price marked on it was, I think, $10, but he was able to get it for all the money he had in his pocket, which was a single dollar. That sparked a new hobby for him. He now collects old car emblems. We found a Mercury emblem for him next, and then recently I found him a Plymouth emblem. His eyes lit up when he saw the Plymouth one. He sees me on here, and he has become biased toward anything that isn't Ma Mopar. I guess I'm raising him right! He only has these three, so far, but I know he'll get more. We don't specifically go out looking, but we keep our eyes open and if we see something that he wants, we do what we can.

I know the Chevrolet emblem is off a 40s-era Fleetline and I think the Mercury is from the late 70s or early 80s, but I'm not sure about the Plymouth one. Anybody knew about when this emblem would have been used? I want to say sometime in the 70s, but that's just a guess. If anybody knows for sure, I would appreciate any info that can be offered. Thanks!

20170302_114517.jpg

Believe it or not, this one actually still has the mounting tabs on the back!

20170302_114624.jpg

20170302_114652.jpg

Last edited:
Looks a lot like the one on my 73 Cuda. Great hobby, some are like works of art.

Looks a lot like the one on my 73 Cuda. Great hobby, some are like works of art.
Thanks for the reply! He'll flip when he hears it could be from a Cuda!

My uncle has always been a big collector of automobilia. I love looking at everything he has, but I never really got into it myself. My son saw the collection right before he started this hobby. At least I know who to blame.

Also, I guess I should have mentioned something about the size of the emblem, because the picture makes it hard to judge scale. It's approximately five and a half inches long, and maybe a quarter inch high. Hope that helps! Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! He'll flip when he hears it could be from a Cuda! Also, I guess I should have mentioned something about its size, because the picture makes it hard to judge scale. It's approximately five and a half inches long, and maybe a quarter inch high. Hope that helps! Thanks again!
That's it.

That's cool
I remember being a young punk, 16,17 years old
I had this leather jacket and I wore two Chrysler stars on it, ran the shoulderstraps through them...very stylish

I have Cherokee and Integra if he wants them

A big thank you to 318willrun for the package that arrived today. I will post pictures of my son opening it after he gets home from school, and of the goodies that are inside. I know for a fact that you just made his day. :thankyou:

Last edited:
Believe I have a 69 Pontiac emblem off trunk lid,from tempest I had.
One piece 18" long. see if I can find it later today...

Dave

As promised, here's the picture of my son with the V8 emblems off the fenders of a 54 Ford that 318willrun sent him. He absolutely loves them! They're already on his dresser next to his others. I think we're gonna have to put up a shelf specifically for these pretty soon! Thanks!

20170306_143326.jpg

perhaps a piece of pegboard would make a good stand?

angle it back 15 degrees or so to keep them from falling of

perhaps a piece of pegboard would make a good stand?

angle it back 15 degrees or so to keep them from falling of
That might work for the ones he already had. The new V8 emblems he got today have wires on the back so they'll stand up on a shelf.

Very cool thread! So great to see the youngsters get interested in our beloved hobby!

I have an extra fish emblem that was pretty pitted. I did a little repair work to it and then powder coated it in my favorite chrome replica powder, Mirror Silver. Shoot me your address and your son can add it to his growing collection.

Roger Johnson, Dan Kelly 022.JPG

65 , that's pretty darn cool... Could become a factor in his life, and that's good....

Believe I have a 69 Pontiac emblem off trunk lid,from tempest I had.
One piece 18" long. see if I can find it later today...

Dave

Pitted but cool , Ive had for 30 years, but goin to good cause and kid........
PM me your address, when i send out parts next, ill ship.
Dave

69pon.jpg

-
Back