my trip from san diego to detroit (pics)

-

74valiant

Reaction score
so 2 weeks ago i drove my 74 valiant back home. i took a few pics and wanted to share. started out in sand diego ca. started out gloomy, but it cleared up as i got off the coast.

this is the town of pacific beach where i lived for a year

this is in the middle of death valley where i stopped to let the car cool down. it was over 100*

drove through vegas and stayed for a night. first time goin, so it was fun!!

the next day we went to the hoover dam

stopped for some more pics

went to the grand canyon after hoover dam. lots of other pics of scenery. that was one big a** hole!!

can anyone say target practice??

four corners was pretty boring, but it was cool to say i went

started to get into colorado. was getting into fall and there was some sweet colors!! i now need new brakes after all those mountains though

nice little lookout point!!

this is the royal gourge. also kinda lame

after that it was into nebraska which was horribly flat, and the 76 hwy was constantly down to one lane for construction. after that it was a straight shot with no stops. it was a long trip, but it was fun. hope you guys enjoy the pictures!!

oh, and heres a pic of me. and yes, i was hungry!!

figure now would be a good time to finally introduce myself. my name is jason. i have this 74 4dr. with a 318 that i swapped in about a month before the trip.its a totally stock motor soon to be modified over this winter. thanks to the mopar forums this thing got across with no issues!! thanks for all the help guys!!

jason

awesome jason! I'll be driving my car from san diego to bay area here soon and was gonna do the same pictorial! you beat me to it!

I surf just to the right of that pier in PB. Good spot (damn good lookin ladies too)

Two things come to mind immediately:

1) The photo's you posted are amazing! I had spent 9 days in San Diego a few years ago and I loved it there. Heaven on Earth. The pictures of the Grand Canyon and the various other look-outs are incredible. Great photo's!

2) Who's that in the White shorts? :-D

yeah, it was fun out there, but i wasnt able to save, or more importantly invest in my car :toothy10:. i wish i knew how to use that camera better. its a canon 10mega pixle, so it should be able to take some nice pics

So did you get the waitresses name in the white shorts, the pics were beautiful, the one in the white makes the trip wrth while too!

What kind of MPG did you get?

We have similar selective vision.

i got like 14mpg with a fully loaded trunk and 3 people.

no i didnt get the number, but i know she wanted it :toothy10:

Truly fantastic Jason. You have just started a fire for me to head west with my 318. You have great pics and what better way to travel but in your Mopar. Thanks.

That's awesome. I took a trip there to San Diego this summer and It was a great city, very very nice to live at. Plus not to mention how much cooler it felt their than Texas lol. My cousin (who I was visiting) has a friend there that I met up with that has a '65 (I believe) Dodge Dart GT. His name is Justin, maybe yall live near each other?

awesome jason! I'll be driving my car from san diego to bay area here soon and was gonna do the same pictorial! you beat me to it!

I surf just to the right of that pier in PB. Good spot (damn good lookin ladies too)

just noticed that last comment, and il miss that allot. lots of good lookin ladies out there!!

That's awesome. I took a trip there to San Diego this summer and It was a great city, very very nice to live at. Plus not to mention how much cooler it felt their than Texas lol. My cousin (who I was visiting) has a friend there that I met up with that has a '65 (I believe) Dodge Dart GT. His name is Justin, maybe yall live near each other?

thanks for the compliments guys!! the trip was fun, but i wish i could have stopped more and taken more pictures:-D SERIOUSLY!! my mom and dad flew out and took the drive with me. they thought it was funny having me stop and take pictures of the car, and said even if i dont get married ill always have my baby. they got over laughing at me after about the 10th stop:toothy10:

san diego is an awesome climate. it stays 60* to 80* all year, and NO humidity!! coming from michigan where you can sweat doing nothing that means allot!! i worked at joes crab shack right on the ocean about a block from the peir in the first pic. always got tourists coming in sayin texas,arizona, nevada, or wherever they came from was 100*+.

to be honest, there is an uncountable amount of old muscle cars in california. i was amazed at how many people had classics as their daily's. i decided to join the group when my pos 86 golf gti was traded STRAIGHT UP for the valiant. i think i made out better on the deal even though the orig. motor blew after a month or two.

p.s. in the middle of nevada, i was doing 70 down a 2 lane hwy when a dog ran out in front of me. i swerved to the oncoming lane to miss it, but nailed it anyway and ended up spinning the car and stopping facing backwards in a cloud of smoke. i thought it was gonna flip when it was happening. the only thing that might have saved me was all the weight in the car holding it down. there was a ditch on each side of the road also which would have been certain disaster

Truely amazing pics,and to do it in a Mopar.Awesome!

Not sure I could even do that in a Lincoln Town car.LOL

Very nice pics. As a kid, I grew up in Farmington, NM, not far from Four Corners. You're right, not much there to write home about. I almost laughed out loud when you said you stopped for the car to cool down, because of the temp being 100 deg. Somedays here in central Texas, it doesn't cool down to 100 deg. until 10:00 at night.
icon10.gif

Jerry

Thanks for sharing the trip with us Jason.
I have not seen the west cost in 40 years
And I have never been to the grand canyon
And i enjoyed the pictures this morning with my coffee.
That is a great looking 74 valiant Jason and glad everything went well.
There are so many great pictures ,But this one is a keeper.

Nice Valiant :thumbrig:

pa010246na1.jpg

Very nice pics. As a kid, I grew up in Farmington, NM, not far from Four Corners. You're right, not much there to write home about. I almost laughed out loud when you said you stopped for the car to cool down, because of the temp being 100 deg. Somedays here in central Texas, it doesn't cool down to 100 deg. until 10:00 at night.
icon10.gif

Jerry

i was doin a solid 75 or 80 and was driving for a few hours at that point. hope you have a good coling system!!

Welcome to the site Jason! Wow, those are great pictures and a super way to document both the car and the trip. Loved it! :cheers:

Jason how many miles did your 318 have on her before you left San Diego? Also have you done any overhaul or ring & bearing of your motor prior to the trip? Thanks, again great trip and pics.

approx 55k on the new motor. i just replaced the basic engine swap stuff. hoses belts, ect.. i want to check this motors insides thoguh, but havent torn into one to far.

-
Back