My trunk latch and striker not lining up?

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
The latch on my decklid ( 68 fastback ) seems to be too far back. It hits the very rear portion of the striker ? Are they supposed to be shimmed forward ?

I am sure they lined up when I took the car apart......

Any ideas ?

Could you take some pics? I just went out and looked at mine, you shouldn't need any shims on the latch. The striker does have a front and back. The edge that curves down should be at the front (but I would be surprised if having backwards would cause your issue).

The latch and striker have limited adjustment. It almost sounds like the striker mount or latch mount would need to be damaged for it to be that far off.

Pics not possible since the trunk would have to be almost closed to see the alignment.

I tried to align the decklid a bit since it was removed during painting. No help...

It is odd ....I am sure the trunk latch assembly was working fine when I got the car.
It was an empty shell...

No signs of body damage.....

The latch appears to catch the very back of the striker when I peek through the almost closed decklid. I will climb into the trunk via the rearpanel and try closing it....maybe it is an optical illusion....

68formulaS , does your latch hit near the center of the striker ?

Appears to hit the very rear of the striker. I can get it to latch now but I dont think I have much room left to adjust the decklid..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 74
Still have a lttle adjustment room left on pass side.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 74
yeah I was thinking of that.... I found it unussual that it would hit so far back though...
I think I can get it another 1/8-1/4" forward with decklid adjustment ....then shim for another 1/16th using fender shims.

If you have a fastback you can drop the rear cargo hatch and look at it from inside. You should also be able to adjust from inside.

Unless your cargo hatch has been welded shut or modified.

You can also file your slots on the bottom portion of the latch so you can move it back further. Sounds like it might be installed 180 degrees backwards
since it worked before....

-
Back