Narrow #5 main bearing

-

Duane

Reaction score
I remember years ago reading about this speed secret in the chrysler engine book, but have never tried it. Would anyone care to walk me through how they have done this.
Obviously you need to line up the oil holes for position but it looks like the locating notches would over lap. Do you just extend over the existing one ?

Duane

I didn't do the narrow bearing but I bought a 2nd bearing set & used half of em so I could have full groove bearings (360). I filed a new locating notch in the #5 cap for the new grooved bearing half & all good. Get your fore/aft new position located exactly then cut a new notch (both new notches if needed for both halves for your narrow bearing deal). EDIT not sure if your notches are close but if so, you want to cut a new notch not extend the current one wider cuz you want the 2 notches seperate

yes, I have a mini file set that are high quality & you want that so there is minimal work/goes fast/precision cutting. Eyeball the old notch & duplicate that. You can be a hair deeper on the notch depth than the OE one was (try to keep it close to the sameor a hair deeper) but you want the cap/block new notch width to match the bearing kickout notch & a hair more & confirm the bearing is nestled completely flat in place. You know I might have been smart to go with the narrow bearing but it never crossed my mind, I just want ed full grooved bearings

Attachments

• #5 main naoow bearing 002.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 148
  • bearings.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 150
I took 2 pics of the 2nd pic with the writing but I cannot get it to focus better. This newfangled camera has 500 settings in the instruction manual in fine print! & I ain't got the hang of it yet

-
Back