Narrowed 8.25 Rear in 72 Dart?

-

BooyaAchieved

Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my first post/thread here on For A Bodies Only, so hopefully you can help me out. I have a few questions about swapping a narrowed 8.25 rear end with a Sure Grip diff and 3.91 gears in my 72 Dart.

The rear has been shortened by 4 inches on each side, so I'm a bit worried about clearance issues with the inner fenderwell. I wanted to know if I could get away with not mini-tubbing the fenders if I had the proper backspacing for my rims and the leaf spring relocation kit (I'm thinking the smallest amount of spacing I can safely get away with). I will most likely be using some stock large bolt pattern steelies stretched to 8 inches wide with a 245/65/R14 tire.

Also, the guy has a 727 trans in the Valiant, and I wanted to know if the 8.25 slip yoke for the 727 has the smaller 7260 U joint like my 7.25 I have now.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Booya Achieved

I was thinking about relocating my springs but by the looks of it the inner
fender is out more than the springs so with out tubbing relocating the spring
is pointless I could be wrong but that is what I remember thinking.

My best guess, your 8.75 is about 49" drum to drum if 4" is off each side.

Inner fenders on non-mini-tub cars are about 42" apart

That leave roughly 3.5" of length extending beyond the inner well on each side.

Unless you had a wheel with zero to 1" of backspace, it isn't likely to fit with any wheel that is available. You can't get any backspace without tagging the inner well.

Was this an a-body rear end to begin with or a cut down B body? What is the flange to flange measurement now?
Bruce

Thanks for all the quick replies.

I can get my rims made with a custom offset, so if I need to get a 1" offset or smaller that wouldn't be a problem. The question is, is it safe to have that much positive offset?

The rear is from a '73 Duster, and the dude has put the Mopar spring relocator kit in as well. Do any of you know if the slip yoke for a 727 trans and an 8 1/4 rear is the 7260 u joint, or the 7290 u joint?

If I need to take a ball peen hammer to the inner fender, so be it :).

-
Back