Narrowing truck 8 3/4

-

dennday67

Reaction score
Im sending my bare 8 3/4 from a early 70s truck to a co work (chevy guy) to have him narrow it to stock a body size. I cant seem to find the size chart or much info to give him other than the size from drum to drum which I dont have. I have to order axles and will be going with disc brakes.

You need to know some info about the brake rotor hat thickness, backing plate/disc bracket thickness and attachment style.

A std A-body rear is 52 5/8" housing flange to housing flange. 57 1/8" overall where the wheels bolt up.

There is a POS chart floating around that has a 51.40 number and it is BOGUS! Don't cut it to that length, you'll be sorry.

Thank you for your fast response. Is that 52 5/8" from out side flange to outside flange? And is both side equal distance or is it off set to the passenger side a inch or so?

In the sa Chrysler performance upgrade book it shows the 51.4" from flange to flange that you spoke of. The pic looks like they mean center to center of the flanges or maybe the inner lip of the axle tube.

Please burn that POS chart. That fricken chart has destroyed more rear axles of people wanting A-body length rears than anything on the planet.

It's 52 5/8" to the flanges the backing plate bolt up, in other words the housing ONLY. If you want it to be exactly the same total width at 57 1/8" using bbp axles/drums, it needs to be a bit shorter.

that pos chart was from moparts right ? bigblockdart.com still has the tech pages posted for reference even though i havent checked any of the dimensions on there .

yep it's on most mopar sites and is a real pile of stinking poop. Even the 62-70 B body is wrong.

51.825 flange width if using std bbp axles and brakes.

search my other posts for the word spreadsheet or one of my ads. It's got my email address, send me an e-mail, I'll forward the sheet to you.

Okay so the truck rear measures 59.125 from flange to flange and you said 52.625 so that should be 3.25 off each side?

-
Back