Need 360 top end advice

-

screeminDemon

Reaction score
Should I buy adjustable rockers Vs. keeping the stock ones on my 360 heads? I was advised to go adjustable due to my new summit cam at duration 284, lift 480. I just don't see the point considering I have hydraulic lifters...
I understand the advantage of roller rockers, but don't want to spend that kind of jack right now. Advice?

My current build: mostly stock

360 punched 30 over w/ newly machined crank
new stock pistons (was a mistake but now I'm stuck with em)
new summit cam as listed above
double roller chain and gears
aftermarket alum intake
headers and holley 600 carb
rebuilt heads w/ 1.88 and 1.60 valves, using thick blue felpro gaskets
Heads have a mild mill .014

Also - These heads were used on a 360 with the mopar purple cam. They have dual springs. Will they work with my cam? or how do I look up how to match cam with the right springs?

Thanks!

Should I buy adjustable rockers Vs. keeping the stock ones on my 360 heads? I was advised to go adjustable due to my new summit cam at duration 284, lift 480. I just don't see the point considering I have hydraulic lifters...
I understand the advantage of roller rockers, but don't want to spend that kind of jack right now. Advice?

It's a worthy expense that isn't truly needed. Heres why. The OE rockers are probably fine and will work, but there actual ratio can be very low and for certainly, not a true 1.5 where as the roller rockers are a true 1.5 and free up an easy 15 HP.

Also - These heads were used on a 360 with the mopar purple cam. They have dual springs. Will they work with my cam? or how do I look up how to match cam with the right springs?

Are you sure there dual valve springs or a single spring with a damper inside the spring?
I would certainly find out if such is the case 1 and 2, find out what those springs are and 3, absoultely match the springs to the cam.

Another reason they advise running aftermarket rocker arms is stock arms and stout valve springs don't mix well. There have been quite a few guys on the board here that had a pushrod poke through a stock rocker arm.

Oh duh on me, good mention! Thanks Fishy!

Ahhh, but you.. you ... you ... you.... Wait, didn't Deniro say that?

If you could,-- find out what purple shaft cam was used with the heads.
The person who sold the heads to you might know the info. on the springs.

Knowing the cam will give you a better idea of the nature of the springs, as far as the open and closed pressures.

That summit cam only needs a single spring with a damper that's good up to .500 lift.
If that's the summit cam with 228 @ 50 duration and a 112 LSA
IT WILL WORK FINE WITH A STOCK COMPRESSION RATIO.

PS I see you used thick felpro gaskets????
If you want more compression, go with the thinnest ones.

As T67power said:

Go thinnest and it raise your compression half a point. (0.025 thick)
If you installed the 8553 gaskets, I think they are 0.053 thick

If that's the summit cam with 228 @ 50 duration and a 112 LSA
IT WILL WORK FINE WITH A STOCK COMPRESSION RATIO.

Yes thats the cam I installed, so thanks for your input. As for the thinner head gaskets - I thought of that too but a mopar buddy of mine told me to stick with the blue felpro because they seal so good. He said some of the thinner ones end up leaking sooner or later...

I'm still considering some milling of the heads...

Thanks for the replies everyone!

-
Back