Need 4-Speed console shifter measurements

-

convx4

Reaction score
Looking for measurements to make my own A-body 4-speed console shifter.
I have a drawing attached with the dimensions I am looking for.
Please post your response so outher can use the info.
Thanks Bill [email protected]

1969 a-body console shifter (Small).jpg

I can understand what you are doing I am jusy confused as to why? these crappy stock shifters are all over the place, people removed them/replacd them because they were crap....if you find one ( and you should be able to easily) it may need re-chroming but they are out there....ALSO Hurst makes a replacement shifter that works quite well I think the number is 4084......A lil web research and you will find what you seek......I would not suggest that you rely on others measurements buy a crappy shifter and take your own dimensions if you are bent on making your own........
my 2 centavos

I can understand what you are doing I am jusy confused as to why? these crappy stock shifters are all over the place, people removed them/replacd them because they were crap....if you find one ( and you should be able to easily) it may need re-chroming but they are out there....ALSO Hurst makes a replacement shifter that works quite well I think the number is 4084......A lil web research and you will find what you seek......I would not suggest that you rely on others measurements buy a crappy shifter and take your own dimensions if you are bent on making your own........
my 2 centavos

You are confusing the more common Inland shifter (you're right, they're crap) with the Hurst shifter, which is what his drawing shows. The factory Hurst console shifters for a bodies are NOT all over the place. You can find them, but they are by no means common. I was lucky to buy 2 in the early 90's and sold one to a friend. I have one of these shifters in my car. If I get a chance in the near future, I will try to get the dimensions off of it and post it here.

Looking for measurements to make my own A-body 4-speed console shifter.
I have a drawing attached with the dimensions I am looking for.
Please post your response so outher can use the info.
Thanks Bill [email protected]

Check with Brewers Performance, they usually have one in stock but they`re expensive no matter where you find them.

Bill

I am working on converting my Duster from auto to 4-speed. I have the
shifter handle you are looking to build and measured dimensions for
you.

Based on your picture, the dimensions are:

A- 4 1/2 "
B- 4"
C- 6 5/16"
D- 2"
E- 4"
F- 1 1/2 "
G- 1 1/2"
H- 2 "

I assumed that your D dimension was from the round part of the shifter
to the flat plate part. Note that there are two types that I know of (I
have both).

One has two bolts that attach the shifter handle into the hurst
shifter.
('70 & up) The other is the "bayonet" style ( 67-69)

It all depends which hurst shifter you have (you may already know
this).

Also, the later shifter handle has an upward turn to the shift ball
where the earlier version is basically horizontal (turns straight back
towards the rear of the car.

The measurements here are from the earlier version shifter handle. If
you need some pictures of the shifter handles(both versions), let me
know. I'll need to take some, so it may be a while to get back to you
on
that.

I hope this helps on your project. Good luck. Attached are my Mopars.
Mopars Rule!

Mark Pasqua
Needville, Tx. <<Mopar Country 011.jpg>>

I can understand what you are doing I am just confused as to why? These crappy stock shifters are all over the place, people removed them/replacd them because they were crap....if you find one (and you should be able to easily) it may need re-chroming but they are out there....

If you can find 1969 A-body Hurst console shifters everywhere please sell me a few.

Here is a picture of the shifter in question.

dsc00259cr8.jpg

-
Back