Need 68 Charger Advice

-

muddog

Reaction score
ok i no its not an A-Body but i have a chance to buy an 68 RT Charger, i need an idea to what its worth paying for, ok first it is an original 440 auto rt car. Someone snagged motor and tranny. It does have a 383 4 speed in it now. Second, both quarter panels and hood are full of bondo. The windshield is broke. Floors and frame are perfect. No rust. Doors are straight and no rust. The full interior needs to be completely redone but all there. It's an original colorado car so its never seen salt. Motor and tranny are fresh but never been started. Body is in primer right now. So my question is, what would you mopar guys value this car at? Thanks in advance!!!

PS need honest opinions NO BS!!!!!!!

I own a '68. Fun cars. They're big.

Um, I'm betting the car is worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $10k.

"primer" is such a subjective word. It could mean that all of the body is ready to go, guide coat and block or it could mean it's keeping weather and tree sap off of bare metal and will all need torn down to it, to do correctly. I always assume the latter.

It's difficult to say, without knowing how good of a job they did on anything that they touched and also, even though the car needs restored, having an incomplete car can become expensive, quickly, driving the value of the car down initially.

If the car is complete and needs typical parts (upper and lower door panels, dash pad, upholstery, headliner, etc.) ,but you have all of the critical stuff (dash cluster, wiring, trim, grille, etc.) you are likely looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of $7k in parts needed for typical resto replacement parts, like side marker lights, bumper rechroming, cloth parts that crack, foam, odd badges that need rechroming or replacing, fastener kits, resto quality wiring for the engine compartment, vacuum harness, etc.

Restored with a 440, the car would be worth more, but a 383 and 4 speed would be fun. I'd be tempted to sell the 383 for a date code correct 440 and date code correct 833 case set and keep the stick shift.

They are a lot of fun, but get ready to start shelling coins and living with a sanding board attached to your arm. That's a lot of paint.

-
Back