Need a better clutch

-

mod5v

Reaction score
Just before I got snowed in I built a set of leaf springs for the duster that really hookup. I noticed that my clutch was now the weak link and started sliping. I have a elcheapo diaphram unit in there. Has anyone just replaced the disc with a dual friction type and what were the results? I need more holding power but I'm not prepared to spend 350+ for a cluch right now. Anyone have any experiance with just changing out the disc to increase holding power or do you have to have a higher pressure presure plate?
Lets hear you combos.

I’m not sure what it cost me but I went with a McLeod 10.95" dual Kevlar disk with a diaphragm pressure plate with 2900lbs. Its good for more power than the car will ever see, and the diaphragm keeps the clutch peddle pressure down considering the 2900 lbs of clutch pressure. It feels really nice, grabs like a son of a b%#$& I really like it.

103_0391.jpg

I had exactly the same problem after finishing the chassis mods on my Duster. Nearly new POS el cheapo clutch the previous owner had installed was quickly fried. Went with a South Bend DXD StageIII. Noticeably heavier pedal pressure, but no real complaints. Holds firm on 4k launches with a locker in the rear.

I think for a decent clutch your going to have to spend 350+

Your not going to want to keep any cheapo parts on a decent clutch.

Centerforce II 10.5 inch clutch kit is a nice street/strip setup, with more than enough holding power

I think for a decent clutch your going to have to spend 350+

Your not going to want to keep any cheapo parts on a decent clutch.

Centerforce II 10.5 inch clutch kit is a nice street/strip setup, with more than enough holding power

I have the Centerforce II kit in my car and I LOVE IT!!! Very easy to drive on the street, almost as smooth and easy as my 98 Neon R/T! Grabs nice too...will find out how it works at the 1/4 mi track this spring.....

Well if iI have to spend the money I want to get one that will handle at least 500flb of torque as the plan is to build a stroker for it in the future.
i dont see that much diffrence in price between the II and the dual friction.Which is better for 98% street use and very limited track use?

Well if iI have to spend the money I want to get one that will handle at least 500flb of torque as the plan is to build a stroker for it in the future.
i dont see that much diffrence in price between the II and the dual friction.Which is better for 98% street use and very limited track use?

if you wana spend the little extra money than go for the dual friction, they wll be close to eachother. Both should be streetable

I'm using the Centerforce Dual Friction on my stroker and it works great. Easy pedal and plenty of grab. No complaints.

Southbend Clutch Dual Friction.. Peter(owner) is a friend of mine and he sent us one for my son's 68 prostreet Dart that is running a 500hp B motor. I asked Peter what if we decided to dump the clutch at 5k...he said do it. Just for grins....give Peter a call and tell him what you are doing and see what he says. Him and his family has been building clutches since the 40's...so they must be doing something right.
www.southbendclutch.com

Rick and Rickey Jr.

-
Back