Need A Body experts. !!

-
Well, if the bumper is straight, then your only option is to grind off the paint and replace or reshape that area of the quarter. Maybe there is just some filler there. Hard to really tell until you get in there and poke around. As long as your guy can blend well, you shouldn't have to repaint the whole quarter. A good painter will save some left over paint just incase there needs to be a touch up. The painter I know has a wall of small paint cans labeled with what car they go to. Keeps them around for a year or so, then recycles them. Tinting can be a nightmare for the inexperienced and the wrong tint on a touchup can really stand out. On a driver car, I would trim the bumper and touch up the edge with some silver paint, or shim the bumper out to clear. Kinda hacky, but works on a cheaper build. It's really up to you what you want to cut or bend to make the bumper and quarter play nice. I just hate to cut into fresh paint. It's a tough spot, but can be fixed.
Fortunately, the paint is temporary.. He just sprayed a hemi orange
0606211204.jpg
0606211204c.jpg
44104.jpeg
0612211719j.jpg
base coat over the work he did to "semi" match the rest of the car... He figured I'd appreciate that more than the primered look ... Still have doors, fenders and hood to do, then the real paint job comes.

Fortunately, the paint is temporary.. He just sprayed a hemi orange View attachment 1715756490 View attachment 1715756491 View attachment 1715756492 View attachment 1715756493 base coat over the work he did to "semi" match the rest of the car... He figured I'd appreciate that more than the primered look ... Still have doors, fenders and hood to do, then the real paint job comes.
Oh, OK. Then cut away. I was thinking you had 10 grand into a paint job and you were trying to save it. This just got a whole lot less scary. Yea, just take her down to metal in that spot and fit the bumper. See where she needs a nip tuck, and fixed. Just some time and a welder should do it. I like the car by the way. Cool project.

Maybe two repair panels from two different companies is the first problem. . Sorta like buying the same color paint from PPG and DuPont? They ain't ever gonna exactly match. Maybe AMD could only furnish just one side? Thats why the two co. being involved?
AMD really wants to just be the Ford patch supplier anyway it seems.

0626211112.jpg
Well, if the bumper is straight, then your only option is to grind off the paint and replace or reshape that area of the quarter. Maybe there is just some filler there. Hard to really tell until you get in there and poke around. As long as your guy can blend well, you shouldn't have to repaint the whole quarter. A good painter will save some left over paint just incase there needs to be a touch up. The painter I know has a wall of small paint cans labeled with what car they go to. Keeps them around for a year or so, then recycles them. Tinting can be a nightmare for the inexperienced and the wrong tint on a touchup can really stand out. On a driver car, I would trim the bumper and touch up the edge with some silver paint, or shim the bumper out to clear. Kinda hacky, but works on a cheaper build. It's really up to you what you want to cut or bend to make the bumper and quarter play nice. I just hate to cut into fresh paint. It's a tough spot, but can be fixed.
Well, you mentioned that maybe it's just filler there and I discounted that due to it being a new patch panel...however, I took a pick out and pushed it in at the spot the bumper was hitting...it went in about 1/2" when I fully expected to hit metal. So I dug and found a lot, to me anyway, a lot of filler in that area... I don't get it... Why would a new panel need that much filler there.. and why wouldn't the guy tell me.. Or, is that "normal"..? I guess I'm going to confront him about it, but me not know the workings of body work, I won't necessarily know if what he says is trustworthy..

View attachment 1715757296
Well, you mentioned that maybe it's just filler there and I discounted that due to it being a new patch panel...however, I took a pick out and pushed it in at the spot the bumper was hitting...it went in about 1/2" when I fully expected to hit metal. So I dug and found a lot, to me anyway, a lot of filler in that area... I don't get it... Why would a new panel need that much filler there.. and why wouldn't the guy tell me.. Or, is that "normal"..? I guess I'm going to confront him about it, but me not know the workings of body work, I won't necessarily know if what he says is trustworthy..
Send the car to me in Wisconsin and I will do it right for you.

In all seriousness, he could have been trying to mold a style line with filler. Either way it wasn't done right. Cheap panels can make life more difficult but using filler in excess isn't the correct way to address the issue.

Also if you note the very sharp style line near the curve. Dead give away of body filler.

I am not a professional body guy by any means, but I did work at a body shop for 3 years after high school, and I repair my own hobby cars. There is no reason on this earth to have filler in that spot. Filler can be used to sharpen a body line, but only in small thin amounts. The area of concern is behind the bumper and would never need filler, because you don't see it. Makes me wonder what the rest of the body work looks like. It is possible the patch panel was poorly made, but a good body man can rework a panel while fitting it before it is ever welded in. Dig all of that filler out of there, sand it down, prime it and paint it. And fit your bumper this time. On a side note, I never understood why people get so anal about body lines, that they feel they need to smear the whole car in bondo. Not cool. It should only be used to smooth out body lines and fill in the lows. These cars were never that straight from the factory anyway. The dude who painted the car should make it right, but in this day and age, you may have to find a different guy.

A quick thought. If he didn't have the bumper to fit the panel, he may have welded the patch panel in to far forward and tried to make the difference up with filler after he realized his mistake. He should have asked for the bumper anyway to check his own work. Hopefully he did not scew up the metal repair as well. Definitely going to have to sand that area down a figure out what happened.

And you should be able to see the spot welds on the flange rear of the quarter under the bumper. Never use filler here. It can hold moisture and cause premature rot and rust. Only Corvettes and kit cars lack spot welds on their flanges. Bondo used improperly hides bad metal work.

I was taught you should never need more than a nickels thickness of filler, ever. If you do, you did it wrong. it's meant for slight corrections and smoothing, not sculpting.

Looking at the trailing edge of that drivers side panel, where you show the mudd, doesn't look like what i expect to see from a new panel..... Are you sure you actually have a new panel on that side?

I was taught you should never need more than a nickels thickness of filler, ever. If you do, you did it wrong. it's meant for slight corrections and smoothing, not sculpting.
Makes sense... This is only a nickels thickness...A ROLL OF NICKELS....lok

Looking at the trailing edge of that drivers side panel, where you show the mudd, doesn't look like what i expect to see from a new panel..... Are you sure you actually have a new panel on that side?
Talked to the body guy last night... He's going to repair.. He mentioned that the panel I bought was hard to work with..and he only used part of it, below the side marker light down..So the area that's full of filler is actually original metal, which was fine, as far as bumper fitment.. Not sure why that had to be reshaped and filled. I'll get more answers when he repairs.. He's coming to my garage to do it, so I'll see everything.

Talked to the body guy last night... He's going to repair.. He mentioned that the panel I bought was hard to work with..and he only used part of it, below the side marker light down..So the area that's full of filler is actually original metal, which was fine, as far as bumper fitment.. Not sure why that had to be reshaped and filled. I'll get more answers when he repairs.. He's coming to my garage to do it, so I'll see everything.

Ahh, well there it is.... Seriously, with that much filler, I'd be pissed. That's how things fall apart years later....

-
Back