Need a little engine help

-

Baghdad Dart

Reaction score
REALLY hope that this doesnt make some of you angry. But I do need a little help with this.

Well guys this a little off topic for Mopar. But my sons friend drug a 71 Mustand fastback into the yard, of course without Momms permision...but thats another story. Thank God I dont live there anymore...I dont have to listen it anymore...hahaha. Its a 302/2V auto. We all have been trying for a week to get something out of it. It has a sliped timing chain now there is a new one on it. The problem is we just cant get it to start. It has compression on all cylinders in the 150 range, not a lot. Gas is good to the carb and threw it. Has a hot *** NEW mallary coil, great fire threw all the plugs and new wires too. But the old motor just stumbles and kind of tries to start...but just wont. No back fires, pop backs or anything that sounds strange at all. The kid got it cheap, nice car..hell its a mustang fastback...way original..never cut..never modified ... like a time capsule. $200 with a good title, I just cant get the darn thing to play well with me...lol.

ANY IDEAS??

Jeff

Timing may be way off if you did any work to it ie timeing chain. Try turning the ditributer back and forth while some one else cranks it over. This will get it close enough to start so you can get a timing light on it to time it right.

if the timing chain is slipped then could it be likely that the cam and crank are out of alignment with one another? did you make sure that it was at #1 TDC on both cam and crank before putting the new chain on. distributor in the right spot as well? have you tried moving the distributor while trying to start it to see if that helps it fire? just throwing ideas out there....
-TIm

also if the cam was replaced they may have used a 351 cam. it will change the firing order to a 351. This happened to me on my son's 351. Someone put a 302 cam in it and I was trying to put the plug wires on for a 351. After 2 days I stumbled across this on the net. Swapped the plug wires to match the 302 firing order and it fired right up. Does it have points? You may need to set them.

I'd re-check the timing marks on the new timing chain, just to make darned good and sure...... Then I'd check the distributor to make sure it isn't a tooth or two off. If all of that is looking good, it sounds like a lobe or two of the camshaft is gone.....

yes guys, the chain was put on correctly. All marks lined up well. New points are in. Cap is good..no visable cracks or carbon tracks anyway. Distributor is in the right position. Its a very original engine. I know the original owner well. He had a timing chain put on two times. Thats all. Plus the typical things.points plugs cap dodo like that. We have turned the distributor till the thing fires threw the carb and threw the exhaust too. So I know that the timing is close to where its supposed to be. The car is very hard headed...it should run by all that I know..but it just wont play well. Like I said its kind of low on compression. In the 150 range for all 8. It does have over 200K on it too. But it should start with all that we have done to it already. GREAT fire to all 8 plugs....GREAT gas flow to and threw the carb.... SPINS LIKE HELL with a hot battery and good starter...it just wont start or even give a good pop like its trying.
Jeff

I had this problem once... I had the plug wires going around one way on the cap (opposite of rotor rotation). Exact same situation and i was working on a friends Ford.

Once I got the plug wires going the right way it fired up.

Have you pulled the valve covers and watched the valve train? I also had a stud on the heads pull out about 3/4" and cause the engine to run like crap.

yes..but wouldnt the engine befiring back threw the carb and exhaust too? Looks like it would to me..but man I am at a loss here. I will check it this afternoon.

Jeff

Oh yeah, forgot something. We have pulled the distrubutor and spun it 180 and stabbed it again...almost blew the doors off hahahah. Set it right back after that. So ya see all that stuff is correct.

Jeff

Yes Dartman. We pulled the covers and everything is working correctly. i thought that too. I thought maybe some of the valves were sticking or something. Then i checked the compression on all cylinders and they were all with in 10 points at around 150. No really loose rockers, nothing really out of line or anything visiable to my old eyes.

Jeff

I would advise starting from scratch Jeff. Remove the No.1 spark plug and put your finger over the hole then hand roll the engine over (proper rotation of course) until you hear air squeezing out around you finger. Align TDC mark on dampener to 0 deg., now you're certain that No. 1 is at TDC beginning of power stroke. Now go to the dizzy and align the rotor with the No. 1 plug pin on cap then varifiy the remaining 7 wires are going to the correct cylinders as you chase the firing order around the dizzy cap. By the way your cylinder pressures are just fine at 150 and did you do the compression test with the carb wide open and all spark plugs pulled.

If ya got Fire, Fuel and Air it's gotto be ignition timing.

terry

Yup, did that too already. Broought up the #1 to top then set to TDC on crank well it was off just a hair from real TDC when I though it was at top of piston. Set the #1 wire to #1 on the cap. Did all of that about 4 days ago. The only thing that I guess I did wrong was the compression test. I laft all the plugs in while i spun it. Also the carb was closed too, at idle that is. Man I am about to lose my damn mind on this thing. I have tried everything that I know....it seems that is about all that I can do. But as of yet I havent checked to see if the wired are in reverse order yet. Its 101 here fight now and still going up I really dont feel like getting into it right now.

Jeff

-
Back