Need a little info and help here

-

SwinginDart74

Reaction score
I have a 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger

Will the following items from a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport fit my Swinger?

Dash pad, grille, windshield, and guage cluster?

its a local parts car, and everything is free for the taking for me!

thanx very much in advance!

I have a 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger

Will the following items from a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport fit my Swinger?

Dash pad, grille, windshield, and guage cluster?

its a local parts car, and everything is free for the taking for me!

thanx very much in advance!

The dash pad is the only thing that will be exactly the same.

The cluster could be exactly the same, but it might have a seat belt light on the 1974, but not the 1973. needless to say, it will still work.

The Windsheild WILL NOT WORK.

The Grill is different, but you can make it work. a 74 is inset, and has wider turn signals. I'll post pics

If its free...take it, you can trade, or sell them off later

This is a 1974 grill on a brown dart sport that I had
73dart.jpg

a close up of a 1973 dart grill
carparts001.jpg

My 1973 dart sport
Duster001.jpg

Personally I like the 1973 grill more than the 1974. Some of the grill mounting screws might not line up, but most should.

Like I said B4...go get everything, and MORE. If its free...get the car!

Phil

1973 -74 Darts, Swingers, Sports all use the same grille. 1975-76 use the same grille only the 76 has amber parking lenses versus the 75, which has clear lenses but uses amber bulbs. Also if you use the 1975-76 grille you have to use the 75-76 header nose piece(mounting tabs are recessed back further to accomodate the 75-76 grilles deeper mounting tabs. The brown 74 dart Sport in the above picture has a 1975 grille in it.

1973 -74 Darts, Swingers, Sports all use the same grille. 1975-76 use the same grille only the 76 has amber parking lenses versus the 75, which has clear lenses but uses amber bulbs. Also if you use the 1975-76 grille you have to use the 75-76 header nose piece(mounting tabs are recessed back further to accomodate the 75-76 grilles deeper mounting tabs. The brown 74 dart Sport in the above picture has a 1975 grille in it.

When i first read you comment, i thought to myself that you were wrong. I have had one 1974 dart sport, and one 1974 swinger. I am pretty sure that they both had an inset grill, but then I was thinking about it more, and I think the swinger had a grill the same as a 1973, but as you can see in the pic of the brown dart sport I had, it has an inset grill, and it was a 1974. Go figure.

and yes you are right about getting the header, that would fix the mounting holes not lining up.

Phil

When i first read you comment, i thought to myself that you were wrong. I have had one 1974 dart sport, and one 1974 swinger. I am pretty sure that they both had an inset grill, but then I was thinking about it more, and I think the swinger had a grill the same as a 1973, but as you can see in the pic of the brown dart sport I had, it has an inset grill, and it was a 1974. Go figure.

and yes you are right about getting the header, that would fix the mounting holes not lining up.

Phil

That's the first 74 I have ever seen with that grille and I've literally scrapped/parted out 100's of those cars (73-76). Could the car have been repainted and the front nose changed? CHRYSLER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO DO SOME WEIRD THINGS. Perhaps it was a mid-late year 74 car that was accidentally released with the 75 grille in it. Again , It's the only 74 I've ever seen with that grille(rare indeed).

-
Back