Need a new rear end for my 63 Dart Wagon

-

schlockfink

Reaction score
So the rear end on my wagon is growling, and It gets louder as I go faster! I had another 66 dart that had a whine in the rear end, I just replaced the rear wheel axle bearings and that fixed it. But this growl is different, and getting scary. yesterday I touched the rear wheel bolts after driving 5 miles and they were extremely hot! It is the 7 1/4 rear end. I'm thinking from what I read it's the carrier bearings. I don't know where those are located, and or how to replace them. would it be easier, and cheaper to just swap in another rear end? I saw this guy on craigslist had a 7 1/4 rearend out of a 75 dart for 100 bucks. Would that fit under my 63 dart? I think maybe the reason why my rear end is growling is because for years I was using some rear wheels that weren't balanced... I will not be doing THAT again any time soon. Soooo anyways if anybody around El Cerrito California has a rear end that they want to get rid of let me know!! thanks!

Paul

Any a-body rear will bolt into your wagon. However, a 75 rear end will have a larger bolt pattern which means you will need to change wheels.

yes, just change the whole rear. Alot of guys just give them away when they upgrade so you could probably get one for cheap or nothing from another member on this site. put an add in the "wanted" section.

as far as changing your wheels all you need to do is change all wheel hardware and axels as I would change wheel axel seals anyway

-
Back