Need a quick answer guys.

-

/6 Matt

30 Degrees Crooked
Reaction score
Ok guys, ya'll always come through for me on my random cockimanee questions. So now I got a new one for you guys. And I need it answered in a few hours.

Me and my brother have been woking on his '92 Dodge Dakota, replacing a front seal on the automatic transmission. When he put the new seal in, he put transmission fluid on the inside of the seal, but, he also put a light coating on the outside metal part of the seal. Is that ok? Will it still seal? After all the $h@t this truck has put us through just to drop the tranny, we really don't want to go through the trouble of dropping it again cause we fu$%ed up.

Thanks in advance guys, I can always count on your wisdom!

Just got done doing the trans in my ram last year and I was told by several builders to put green locktite on the OD of the metal where it seals against the pump.

Just my .02

I've heard the loctite thing too.... I feel like I'm not gonna get a good answer that won't be debated now.

Damn...

Just got done doing the trans in my ram last year and I was told by several builders to put green locktite on the OD of the metal where it seals against the pump.

Just my .02

Yeah it doesnt hurt to put a loctite gasket eliminator on the outside as an extra measure but ive always done them dry and never had trouble.

At the bare minimum, I always made it a point to make sure the outside of the seal was bone dry (As in, I'd hit it with a wiping of brake cleaner and try to keep my fingerprints off of it.

Why?

Think? What's holding that seal in place?

Short answer: Friction. Namely, friction around the outside of the seal where it's pressed into its bore. Friction is the only thing that holds that seal in, and you just lubricated where it's supposed to have the most friction. It's under pressure there, I think (but may be wrong) and if so...I'd pull it out and at the bare minimum...install a new one, dry.

Best scenario? As mentioned: Green Loctite.

I would re-do while you have the trans out.

Just my .02

That would be the best way.
We used red but, red, blue. green (any color is better than none)
The factory does not use it, but it sure keeps the seal from popping back out after it's all put back together.
Be sure to put it in as straight as you can in either case.

I'm not saying it would matter or not, but I wanted to be as damn sure as I could before having to rip that bastard back out again.... it was a pain in the a$$ doing it by yourself...

I'm not saying it would matter or not, but I wanted to be as damn sure as I could before having to rip that bastard back out again.... it was a pain in the a$$ doing it by yourself...

Exactly.
So to me, it matters so I always locktite them.

-
Back