Need a soldering iron...

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
The board in my ABS module apparently has some soldered joints that have failed. Was going to pull the module off and ship it to get repaired. Changed my mind. I have one of those clunky Weller guns...far from ideal for working on a circuit board. Any suggestions?

The standard Weller wand type iron with the fine tip would be ideal for that job

I cant tell everything I know about a certain brand of abs module cause I aint supposed to know some of it.
There are very very small 24K gold wires placed with a robotic wire bonder. If this is where the fault is, and most of the time it is, a hand held soldering iron aint gonna fix it. If you open it, look for what looks a lot like a mouse turd in the gelcoat. There's your sign.

about 2 years ago I was looking to buy a soldering iron, and my dad happened to be in town
so I asked him if he thought weller was any good

he said remember the one I used to have?
I said, the one in the wooden box?
he said, that's the one, it was old before you ever used it and its still going strong...and its a weller

I cant tell everything I know about a certain brand of abs module cause I aint supposed to know some of it.
There are very very small 24K gold wires placed with a robotic wire bonder. If this is where the fault is, and most of the time it is, a hand held soldering iron aint gonna fix it. If you open it, look for what looks a lot like a mouse turd in the gelcoat. There's your sign.
Mouse turd in the gelcoat....going to be pretty hard to miss THAT....Thanks for the tip...

-
Back