Need a team for $500 crap-can racing in Phoenix AZ

-

AZBarracuda

Reaction score
How many of you are familiar with the 24hrs of LeMons racing series that's been going on at various road courses for the past couple of years? The idea is great ... create a road race car on a $500 budget, incorporate some wacky theme, and come to the track and see how many laps you can get completed in between car repairs! (Just how reliable do you think a $500 car is???)

I've been following the action online for about a year via their website www.24hoursoflemons.com, as well as www.jalopnik.com and YouTube.

A few months ago I promised myself that if they brought the series to Arizona I would absolutely have to run in the event. Well, my prayers (or nighmare?) has been answered! The event is being run at Firebird Raceway on January 23-24, 2009. Also, there is a start-up racing series called ChumpCar that is modeled after LeMons and will have a race at Firebird later in 2010.

I am looking for 5 or so guys in the Phoenix area who want to pool our efforts (and cash) and field a team. :cheers: It would be WAY COOL to find some guys that have some sort of racing experience, and some racing equipment (gas cans, radios, contacts in the safety equipment industry) because I have none of that. What I bring to the team is a '67 Barracuda rolling shell that I got for free, an 833 4-speed tranny, and some other parts (radiator, batteries, windshield, more). We could take a short cut and buy some running crap-can off of CraigsList but I would rather bring some vintage Mopar to the track and kick *** on all of the foreign crap cans that enter this race.

I warn you, it can cost upwards of $5,000 to put together a complete car by the time you get done with all of the safety equipment (roll cage, tires, rims, brakes, fire extinguisher, etc). Plus that you'll have to invest in a fire suit and proper helmet.

I was a Hot Wheels collector for many years. (Okay, still am!) Taking inspiration from this, I registered for the Phoenix race as Team Shot Wheels. (Do you remember the Wacky Packages stickers from the late 70's and 80's?)

Post here if you want to play! We can all get together and discuss the feasibility of this adventure.

If I was in the area. I would be in. That sounds like a blast. Maybe they will bring it to Utah.

Happy to donate an alignment to your venture.:cheers: Not really into the LeMons stuff.....PM if needed.

Wow, I wish I could get in on this but I live in Florida. :( I'm on Jalopnik as well under "Mopar Man". I like that site!

Don't have a ton of cash but I can turn a wrench... What part of town are you in? I'm in Avondale.

,Cliff

OP never responded to my offer and this thread is over a year old. Nice of you to offer your help also Cliff, but I'd be surprised if you get a reply :cheers:

-
Back