Need advice about 727 transmission

-

1967DartSwinger

Reaction score
Hi. I am considering buying a 69 Dart. Someone has converted it to a 360 and 727 setup. I’m not sure what all was done and the seller isnt either. (He’s just flipping it). It runs well but when I took it for a drive it would shift into second kind of hard,but wouldn’t go into third. The lever can be shifted into D but not 1 or 2. When I looked under the hood I noticed that the transmission kickdown linkage was sloppy,there’s a section with an oval hole in it that just slides on the carb shaft but it never touches anything and there was no spring holding the linkage forward. I’m guessing when it was converted someone didn’t have the right piece? It looks like the engine was a tight fit in there and the manifold is very near the steering box and shaft. I’m not sure what engine this car originally had in it. Anyway,I was hoping to get some input and advice here before considering to buy it. I was hoping maybe the linkage would be the cause and it wouldn’t be that the transmission is ruined.

Sounds more like the linkage isn't adjusted properly. If the transmission shifts and doesn't slip it's probably fine. The hard shift into second could be that the kickdown isn't adjusted properly either. Don't drive it until the kickdown is properly adjusted or you could burn it up. Smell the transmission fluid to see if it's burnt. 65'

Thanks. The fluid was bright pink. No sure if it was changed before they decided to sell it or not. I know the shift select pattern isn’t right anymore. There’s no 1 or 2. It only goes into drive. Like I said I’m not sure what all was done to the car. Would they have had to change the rear end too when they swapped in a 360 and 727?

Hi. I am considering buying a 69 Dart. Someone has converted it to a 360 and 727 setup. I’m not sure what all was done and the seller isnt either. (He’s just flipping it). It runs well but when I took it for a drive it would shift into second kind of hard,but wouldn’t go into third. The lever can be shifted into D but not 1 or 2. When I looked under the hood I noticed that the transmission kickdown linkage was sloppy,there’s a section with an oval hole in it that just slides on the carb shaft but it never touches anything and there was no spring holding the linkage forward. I’m guessing when it was converted someone didn’t have the right piece? It looks like the engine was a tight fit in there and the manifold is very near the steering box and shaft. I’m not sure what engine this car originally had in it. Anyway,I was hoping to get some input and advice here before considering to buy it. I was hoping maybe the linkage would be the cause and it wouldn’t be that the transmission is ruined.
If the fluid is bright red and doesn’t smell burnt it’s probably fine.
The spring that holds the TP forward missing could explain the hard late shifts.
Third may not shift until somewhat later.
I would put a spring back on it and test drive it again.

With the throttle all the way open the pin in the slot should be against the back of the slot AND the linkage should be as far back as it can go.
This is the basic TP adjustment starting point.
Small adjustments can be made from there for personal preference in shift timing and firmness.

No, rearend doesn't have to be changed. Do you know what rearend it has currently? 65'

Thanks TrailBeast,I appreciate the help and advice you and others here have given me. I wasn’t familiar with what exactly was missing or would have been changed to make the 727 work vs the original a904 as I don’t have a 360 car with 727. I’m assuming this car was originally a slant six because it was a stripper model but the seller didn’t know. He had an attitude and was kind of difficult to deal with.

......And a flipper. I'd keep looking for something else.
Yeah,I feel you’re right. He seemed annoyed that I wanted to look it over and drive it first,when that’s just standard procedure when buying any car. Afterwards when I told him it wasn’t shifting into 3rd the attitude was “so are you going to buy it”. Speedometer,temp and gas gauges didn’t work either. Honestly,I’d be happy with a 318,273 or slant six 67-69 car. Not looking to go racing. Just wanted one for a daily driver. 318’s get prettt decent mileage.
Unfortunately there’s a lot of junk out there and sellers are asking insane prices for it. There’s a 69 Dart Slant six “custom” 4dr for $8,500. It’s pretty clean,but that’s just a lot of money. I also saw a 67 Belvedere 2 (4 Dr) with 318 that had flat tires,a busted windshield and hasn’t run in 15 years for $10,000. That just seems crazy to me. That’s running 2dr hardtop territory

Last edited:
Yeah,I feel you’re right. He seemed annoyed that I wanted to look it over and drive it first,when that’s just standard procedure when buying any car. Afterwards when I told him it wasn’t shifting into 3rd the attitude was “so are you going to buy it”. Speedometer,temp and gas gauges didn’t work either. Honestly,I’d be happy with a 318,273 or slant six 67-69 car. Not looking to go racing. Just wanted one for a daily driver. 318’s get prettt decent mileage.
Unfortunately there’s a lot of junk out there and sellers are asking insane prices for it. There’s a 69 Dart Slant six “custom” 4dr for $8,500. It’s pretty clean,but that’s just a lot of money. I also saw a 67 Belvedere 2 (4 Dr) with 318 that had flat tires,a busted windshield and hasn’t run in 15 years for $10,000. That just seems crazy to me. That’s running 2dr hardtop territory
Unfortunately, when prices go up for the diamonds, it brings up the bottom end as well. Same holds true with everything that gets a "following". LOL, I've seen it over and over especially within the last couple of years. Insane money being spent on cottages, RVs, Pick-ups....You name it. If you go down the rabbit hole on this, you'll have no idea what you'll have into it when you are done. By then, the seller is long gone. That's why I bought my own to build..........LOL, But that comes with it's own set of challenges. Good luck with your search. :thumbsup:

Pass and keep looking ,You will find a better car and Seller out there:welcome:

Thanks guys
Unfortunately, when prices go up for the diamonds, it brings up the bottom end as well. Same holds true with everything that gets a "following". LOL, I've seen it over and over especially within the last couple of years. Insane money being spent on cottages, RVs, Pick-ups....You name it. If you go down the rabbit hole on this, you'll have no idea what you'll have into it when you are done. By then, the seller is long gone. That's why I bought my own to build..........LOL, But that comes with it's own set of challenges. Good luck with your search. :thumbsup:

I completely understand what you’re saying. The problem with this is that it seems like an ever growing number of people have completely unlrealistic expectations and the market simply doesn’t bear out those prices.Those cars I’ve mentioned have been for sale for 4 years now and haven’t sold. I used the examples of those four doors because for the most part nobody wants four doors. There’s an extremely rough 67 Dart two door that looks like it went through World War II,every body panel is dented,and the guy wants $15,000 (don’t low ball me,“I know what I have”) for when there’s a really nice 67 dart Gt for $10k.

I wouldn’t mind a 67-69 four door if it was cheap and in decent shape just for an everyday driver car,I wouldn’t have to worry about anyone stealing it. Haha.

I would pass. There are plenty of non assholes out there with nice cars. Deal with one of them instead. Money is hard to come by these days.

Thanks guys

I completely understand what you’re saying. The problem with this is that it seems like an ever growing number of people have completely unlrealistic expectations and the market simply doesn’t bear out those prices.Those cars I’ve mentioned have been for sale for 4 years now and haven’t sold. I used the examples of those four doors because for the most part nobody wants four doors. There’s an extremely rough 67 Dart two door that looks like it went through World War II,every body panel is dented,and the guy wants $15,000 (don’t low ball me,“I know what I have”) for when there’s a really nice 67 dart Gt for $10k.

I wouldn’t mind a 67-69 four door if it was cheap and in decent shape just for an everyday driver car,I wouldn’t have to worry about anyone stealing it. Haha.
Keep your nose to the grindstone. There was a really nice '72 2 door here not too long ago for 20k. Classy car...get in and drive!

My feeling is the folks that say that actually don't know what they have - a rusty car that needs 5-10k in metal, time and skill to make presentable. Most of those guys would be happy to smear 2" of fibreglass on a car and call it good; and are too lazy to do that.

Assume it needs a trans, and offer accordingly. Really!

Thanks guys. I agree. And you’re right. People don’t realize how much cost there is involved sheet metal repair. Even in California and Arizona the darts with vinyl roofs seem to rust by the A and C pillars and around the rear window at the bottom.
I personally like them better without the vinyl roof,especially the dusters.

If it’s not a big hassle could someone here post a photo of what the trans kickdown linkage on a dart with a 360 in it should look like so I can see what should have been there that wasn’t?

-
Back