Need advice on fuse block for electric fans

-

slmiller243

Reaction score
Hoping someone can advise or confirm my assumptions. I have 2 electric fans and want to have one fuse per fan. When a fan initially kicks on, it draws 43-44 amps for about a second but then drops to around 20 amps. I already have 2 relays wired with a control module from Dakota.

Ideally I would like to add a 4 circuit fuse block to allow room for something in the future. Problem is most of the fuse blocks are a max of 30-40 amps per circuit. I know I would at least a 45-50 amp fuse to handle the initial draw. Any suggestions?

Would I be ok with a 50 amp fuse in a 30-40 amp circuit since it is only for a second?

Last edited:
There is also the slow blow fuses and circuit breakers way of doing it.
I have a 30 amp inline fuse for the 17" fan and it has never blown, and the entire rest of the car including the charging system runs through a 30 amp self resetting breaker, which also has never tripped in four years of daily driving.

Thanks. I may be overthinking this. I thought about a single 100 amp fuse but I would like to avoid a single point of failure. One fan working is better than no fans

The only real problem I have with that is that it would take 100 or more amps to blow it.
That would toast wires before the fuse blew.
You might consider one 30 amp resetting breaker for each fan, as IF it tripped one of those for some reason it would come back on in a few seconds and the other fan would stay running until it did.
The breakers can handle more that they are actually rated for, for a short time before they trip but a constant high draw would trip it just like a slow blow fuse.
BUT, slow blow fuses don't come back on again.:D

-
Back