Need advise for transmission modification

-

boozersdart

Reaction score
I am rebuilding my A727 Transmission. My front clutch is warn excessive. I have read a book by Carl H. Munroe, president of TSR racing. He recommends installing a .140" orifice in the passage that feeds the front clutch. This is for manual valve bodies only without a trans brake. The purpose is to adjust the 2-3 shift timing. This will slow the apply of the front clutch allowing the kickdown band to fully release. Has anyone tried this before? If so would you recommend it and what size orifice did you use?

...Where is the front clutch worn, any pics.......That plug is in the trans go shift kits -2 and -3 , not just 4 manual valve bodies.......kim......

You can use the orifice(3/16")if you want,this is really used to lessen overlap on the 2-3 shift when changing/modifying valve bodies when the transmission is in the car.If you are already building it,set up the front clutch with 12 return springs,and keep the clearance at .075-.085 on the front clutch.This has proven to have a better feel and last longer,and be sure to use a heavier front servo return spring(found in most shift kit,valve body kits)

Thanks, The front clutch has 12 springs already and I was going to add 3 more for total of 15. Where is a good place to get the heavier servo spring? I do not have one. I do already have the manual valve body from years back
Thanks

Turbo Action or TSR will sell you the spring by itself,just be sure that you use the early,non contolled-apply servo(small pin).You can modify the later servo's,but its easier to use the old style.

Thanks for the information. I will be getting busy so I can get back to the track.

Just installing the restricted orifice with no other modifications will only hurt performance. It's only used in conjunction with other mods. If you want to improve your trans. perf. you need to invest in a Trans-go TF-2 (retains automatic shifts) or TF-3 (full manual shift) kit. It comes with all you need to modify the trans. for improved performance.

Thanks again .I am going to to do all necessary mods for the drag strip.

-
Back