Need aluminum hard-anodized…where?

-
Reaction score
Anyone know a shop that'll do hard anodizing on a small-quantity (two pieces) basis? Every shop I've talked to only wants to do production quantities.

Thanks!

Dan, are you looking for Mil-Std 8625 Type III hard-coat? Generally it is from light gray to black in color per Mil-Std 595. The same coating that is used on most AR-15 and M16 rifle upper and lower receivers. We do this in our shop and I have a friend who has a very large plating facility right down the street from me.
What cha got you need plated??
Shoot me a PM if I can help.

Let me know what you need anodized i may be able to help you out.

Keep in mind if they are small parts, it will cost you about the same to do 20 or 2.

Guess there's no call for me to be mysterious: I have a two pieces of high quality cast aluminum cookware -- the kind you might use to cook potroast or similar. They were my grandmother's. Oval, about 14" by 9" by 9", with matching cast aluminum lids. Old but in excellent condition. They are raw aluminum, which sheds black smut when wiped, and there is some question of the health effects of aluminum leaching into foods (can't cook acidic foods in them, so no tomato sauce, etc).

I want to have them very well cleaned and surface-treated. I will need some guidance on the exact choice of treatment(s) -- offhand I'm thinking the hardest possible anodizing, but beyond that I'm ignorant. Just clear anodize? Polish or bright dip of some kind? Black? Some kind of food-grade ceramic coating? I know nothing. Pittsburgh shop got back to me so far recommending black hard anodizing and quoting $68 to do both of 'em; we'll see what other answers might come in.

Cookpots.jpg

Hello Dan,

I got a call from my daughter that there was a plating question.
She got the heads up from Lee Ann.

The $68 price you were quoted is a very good price.

The option would be to have the workpieces "Banadized".
The reason I bring that up is two fold.

1) This is a thermal application and Banadize is the very best thermal barrier I know of that can be applied in this fashion.
(a workpiece that has been Banadized can have a small corner ground through to the parent material. You can then apply heat up to and beyond the melting point of that material. The material will "pour" out leaving a "shell" of Banadize.

2) The natural "slickness" that comes from the Banadizing process.

There is only "one" place that does that process, and that is the place that developed it.
The US Navy is one of their biggest customers.
Another is Magnuson, I have seen stacks of their blower housings there.

The Banadize process is only for aluminum.

Remember, if you call out a thickness, say .003 for instance......
That will be .003 "in" & .003 "out".
That is to say the process will penetrate the parent material .003 "and" build up .003.

Very good medicine.

http://www.lovattprocesses.com/index1.htm

Take care,
MM

Hey, interesting! I kinda doubt they'd want to mess with two-cookpots type of small volume stuff, but it can't hurt to ask.

-
Back