need auto trans advice

-

jos51700

Green Bearing thread connoisseur
Reaction score
So the brother-in-law's '01 Neon lost reverse, and gained drive in all gears plus neutral. Figuring a clutch pack welded itself together, I hit pick n pull and pulled one from a car that had forward motion collision damage.

Now, pick n pull pokes holes in their trans pans to drain the juices and I saw the hole but figured surely they wouldn't be so stupid as to drill into trans internals.

Wrong.

assuming they didn't drill any further than this (oil filter and valve body lower plate?), can I pull it and replace it with the non drilled piece that's original to the car? They are the same year same basic option package.

If I can replace it, is there a bunch of check balls and stuff inside I have to worry about?

I have a thirty day warranty and tomorrow is the last day, so I can go swap it and sweat my spheres off if I absolutely have to, but I'd really rather not. Second gen Neons are bitches to work on.

20170729_224505.jpg

I think I can disassemble it to clean it. I know the oil that came out of the old trans was REALLY nasty. Smelled like burnt trans and burnt motor windings.
Thank you for the advice.

-
Back