Need base/clear PAINT FORMULA

-

burrpenick

'69 Barracuda
Reaction score
1972 Duster in FE5 BRIGHT RED, local jobber only has the formula for enamel and I need it for base/clear. They sell Dupont if that matters.

Thanks, George in Tallahassee

if your jobber sells dupont they can call the dupont library if they can't pull up a formula. i do this all the time if i can't pull up a code from my dupont system. if you have a section of the car that still has the color on it, they also have a camera called the profit. they can take a picture of your color and down load it in the computer and it will come up with the formula from that

tell them you want it mixed in "chroma base" then buy a good high solids urethane clear to go over it

if your jobber sells dupont they can call the dupont library if they can't pull up a formula. i do this all the time if i can't pull up a code from my dupont system. if you have a section of the car that still has the color on it, they also have a camera called the profit. they can take a picture of your color and down load it in the computer and it will come up with the formula from that

tell them you want it mixed in "chroma base" then buy a good high solids urethane clear to go over it
I believe the Profit belongs to PPG. It can be used to create a color or scan the library for the closes match. Some times it matches sometimes it dont. I will bet that PPG already has a formula for the color your looking for in DBC basecoat.

A lot of older colors no longer have the correct tints and there are not actual formula's for them in base clear. You run into that a lot with PPG, they can mix it in single stage but not base coat. The profit works good sometimes but is not always the best match. It will get you in the ball park and if you find a good paint tech they can tint it by eye to match better.

P.S. I know you can get FE5 in PPG DBU for sure as I have a can of it on the shelf that I mixed myself.

My car is way faded, so it will not be a candidate to match. Evidently, PPG is no longer being sold in Tallahassee, so it looks like Finishmasters will have to call Dupont for that formula.

George

I believe the Profit belongs to PPG. It can be used to create a color or scan the library for the closes match. Some times it matches sometimes it dont. I will bet that PPG already has a formula for the color your looking for in DBC basecoat.

you are probably right with th name profit being ppg's isprayed ppg for years until my vender changed to dupont. they changed my mixing system out when they did this. but i have always asked them to send the driver out with the profit when i needed it

My car is way faded, so it will not be a candidate to match. Evidently, PPG is no longer being sold in Tallahassee, so it looks like Finishmasters will have to call Dupont for that formula.

George

you may be able to buff a faded area up to its luster again . either way don't let fifnish masters put you off. this is done all the time. if you don't have any success with them let me know. i should be able to get it for you.

Ok, I just called my PPG jobber this morning for you and the mix number for FE5 Red is 2136. Now that mix number is the same for DBC Urathane basecoat, DCC Single stage Urathane or even DBU Basecoat. My jobber said it sounds like your jobber don't want to thier job. LOL Anyway good luck and I hope this helped you.

I don't know about the U.S. but here in Canada Dupont no longer sells chroma base it doesn't meet the low voc standards they now sell water born base..... mo money... duponts lower line of base works well called Nason and meets standards

I don't know about the U.S. but here in Canada Dupont no longer sells chroma base it doesn't meet the low voc standards they now sell water born base..... mo money... duponts lower line of base works well called Nason and meets standards

waterborne is here but not as of yet manditory. but that is forth coming in the near future

-
Back