Need battery advice

-

kustom2k1

Reaction score
Hi, looking to update the battery for the Dart, anyone try this particular one or maybe recommend one. Thanks guys/gals.

OK, I thought maybe this one...
1969 DODGE DART Optima RedTop Starting 12-Volt Batteries ULT-8002-002

I had a Optima (6 pack) battery in one of my vehicles, Seemed to work well, I had no major issues with it, but, in talking with some of the dealers who sell them, I'm told they aren't worth the extra cost.

I replaced Batteries in two other vehicles since then and bought Bosch batteries, twice. Never an issue with either, and they both get some pretty "extreme" usage.
Yes, they are both larger capacity batteries than the Optima, but they cost a little less, and have a really good warranty, too.

...my 2¢

Thanks Frankie, I just want a low maintenance battery since I drive the car once/twice a month. My last battery stretched from charging and was only a year old (retro cost $250). Guess I'll try a cheaper battery and see how it holds up.
Regards Ed.

Buy a small battery tender charger/basic smart charger. Extends the life of battery on low use vehicles.

I'm partial to Everstart batteries, they take one hell of a beating and keep on going.

I have a 65N (850/1000 Cranking amps) Battery in my D50, with a 29-DC Marine Maxx (850/1000CA) Battery under the bed to run the winches and "emergency power" The regular 65N has been repaired in the past (had a massive hole ripped in the side of the case)

I plastic welded the case, slapped a coat of Epoxy over the repair, siphoned some of the cells down a little to refill the empty cell and then topped them all off. That was 2 years ago, the battery still works perfectly (and the battery was already 4 years old at the time, 6 now).

I have an identical 65N in my '73 Duster. A normal battery just aint enough to spin over that Blown 340

On the Downside, they're HEAVY sobs... The 65N goes every bit of 40 Pounds and the Marine Maxx weighs about 50 pounds.

I have bought many batteries from SAMs club they have a good exchange if the battery is bad

But the best thing is to put it on a battery maintainer and it will last a long time.

I have schumaker and sears maintenance chargers (same charger, different label) they are not expensive and seem to work well. I buy them when on sale for 20-30 apiece. Have several for cars and tractors

Had optima battery once, never again. Need special maintenance charger for them I'm told. Mine didn't last very long and was junk. Had I known about the optima charger might have lasted longer.

-
Back