Need converter

-

PostalBGraham

Reaction score
I need a torque converter for my 340/727 set up. I'm running 2.94 gears in an 8 3/4 posi. My use is street only. I see one on e-bay that was used behind a 360/350hp strip car. The guy blew the engine after only 4 runs on the strip. It's advertised as TCI 3200 stall. Will this work with my 340? I'm not familiar with all the balance issues involved.

I need a torque converter for my 340/727 set up. I'm running 2.94 gears in an 8 3/4 posi. My use is street only. I see one on e-bay that was used behind a 360/350hp strip car. The guy blew the engine after only 4 runs on the strip. It's advertised as TCI 3200 stall. Will this work with my 340? I'm not familiar with all the balance issues involved.

A 360 takes an external balance convertor. You need and early 318, 273 or 340 convertor.

You can get a stock unit from the company called RPM for any 727 trans small block. I have found the listing for a 69 Dart or 70 Duster should put you in the 2200-2500 RPM stock stall semi performance range.

I need a torque converter for my 340/727 set up. I'm running 2.94 gears in an 8 3/4 posi. My use is street only. I see one on e-bay that was used behind a 360/350hp strip car. The guy blew the engine after only 4 runs on the strip. It's advertised as TCI 3200 stall. Will this work with my 340? I'm not familiar with all the balance issues involved.[/QUOTE

Hey Postal, I think if you're looking at a 3000 rpm or so converter you may want to seriously consider some taller gears in that puppy. I'd recommend 3.55 if you doing alot of highway driving or if it's just around town 3.91. Also there are a few parts that I'd never use that were "used" and a converter is one of those. JMO

Terry

What size cam are you running in that 340??.. that will determine what size converter you should use,if its going to be used for street only you don't want to run one thats too big..

After talking to a few friends with knowledge, I see things a little more clearly. The converter I was looking at did not have any weights on it, the guy used a flex plate. So, it would have worked, execpt for the high stall. I understand now that I need a lower stall, since my gears are 2.94. I checked on the auction, and with 4 1/2 days left, the bid is at $250. I'm sure I can get one with a lower stall for less than that. Thanks for your help guys! That's what I love about this site.

-
Back