Need Cooling System Design Suggestions

-

GoFish

Have impressive member
Reaction score
Okay, time to start designing my cooling system. This is going into a '71 Scamp with a LA 360, A/C, auto tranny and a big-*** turbo. With a tranny cooler, A/C condenser, electric fan(s) and intercooler in addition to the radiator (definitely aluminum), I'm going to be pressed for space up front so I was thinking electric water pump.

I was looking at the Summit catalog online and was leaning toward the CSR model # CSI-903B, but saw it was 6.5" deep. The remote mount model # CSI-903DPRKIT is only 4.0" deep, so might be a better choice. I haven't yet purchased anything, so I'm just trying to make an intelligent plan.

So what should I be looking for? What measurements do I need to take? I realize this seems pretty vague, but I'm just looking for an idea of where to start.

Are you planning on driving this car around on the street? If so , I think you should plan on using a high performance (MP) water pump driven by the engine itself.

Electric water pumps work OK on dag race cars but do not pump at a high enough rate for a street car cruising down the highway (at least the one in my car cannot keep the car cool if i was driving it long distances!).

Bob

This will be my daily driver if I ever get it done. How much flow from a Mopar high volume water pump? I can't seem to find any details. The CSR pump flows 35-37 gpm, which I believe is pretty high. Still, the main reason I was thinking electric was due to space limitations. I'll be running a 120 amp alternator, so the power draw shouldn't be a problem.

-
Back