Need help 1965 Barracuda 273 2bbl carb

-

65moparbarracuda

Reaction score
Me and my dad had bought a 1965 barracuda with a 273 engine that was partly taken apart its missing valve covers and the 2bbl carb. So my question is does anyone know where I can find these parts the carb I believe is supposed to be a Carter 3843. Also for some reason the whole exhaust system is missing from the manifolds back.

Me and my dad had bought a 1965 barracuda with a 273 engine that was partly taken apart its missing valve covers and the 2bbl carb. So my question is does anyone know where I can find these parts the carb I believe is supposed to be a Carter 3843. Also for some reason the whole exhaust system is missing from the manifolds back.
If you are looking for parts, start a wanted ad or two here on the site.

Wanted ad for some parts.

As for carb, check the factory service manual it will have the part number for the carb.

Accurate exhaust sells OEM correct exhaust systems. Really a compartment muffler shop could build one.

Wanted ad for some parts.

As for carb, check the factory service manual it will have the part number for the carb.

Accurate exhaust sells OEM correct exhaust systems. Really a compartment muffler shop could build one.
I don’t believe I have a factory service manual but I checked the fender tag before and it said it’s a 65 barracuda commando non formula s with a 273 2bbl and a 3 speed manual transmission. I saw a post from before on here that gave all the carb numbers and it seemed that could be the only one. My worry with the exhaust was more of the resonators.

Commando's are high compression 4 barrel engines with chrome air cleaner, wrinkle finish valve covers and dual point distributor.

Under AB on the fender tag will be 2 numbers. 30 is the 273 2 barrel and 31 is the 4 barrel engine. Which one do you gave?

Last edited:
Are you looking to keep it original?

If you just want to get it running and have fun driving it, post an ad for a 2 bbl carb and like @Dana67Dart said, a good muffler/exhaust shop can get you fixed up there. Those factory NOS resonators are high dollar.

With my 66, I kept it looking fairly stock exterior (but I love ralleye wheels) and interior (except for a couple gauges), but when you open the hood, the Air Gap stands out, even though I kept the v-belt setup on the magnum.

And I drive it all the time!

Here is a link
The link downloads a PDF copy of the Factory Service Manual.

Lots of other info is at the same site mymopar.com

Also there are electrical wiring diagrams there too

Also search " Chrysler master tech videos"

Corny as hell but very well done and a lot of good information in our old cars.

The Carter BBD 2 barrel carb is nothing special. You can use any 273 or 318 2 barrel carb from 1964 through 1970. Valve covers are the same. The best in my mind would be from a 273 from 1964 to 1966, I like the stove pipe breathers and PCV valve. But any 273, 318, 340, or 360 valve covers 1964 -1990 will work. I have one 64-67 drivers side valve cover, but not the pair. I would get the Commando 2.50 OD single exhaust, since you are starting from scratch. You do not need the rear resonator. Available in aluminized steel or stainless steel.

Or if you want to keep the 2 barrel exhaust.

I have all of it pretty close in Illinois. You can send me a P.M. if you want these 1965 items...or as Mike suggested place a want ad. Welcome aboard...if you need help this can be a great place!

-
Back