Need help!!! 1965 power steering nightmare

-

Darren65Dart

Reaction score
First , I'm new to forum, sorry if posting in wrong area. I have a 1965 dart 225 slant 6 with one pulley on crank shaft. I have a power steering pump with brackets, but must be missing something. I'm not sure what power steering box I have , and what pump? Didnt know if i can just add a extra pully to crankshaft , but that would probably be a dream or order what ever i need. I will put pictures on and anyone could help telling me what types would be a blessing. This has been a nightmare for me. Thanks Darren
20170203_082526.jpg

20170422_201343.jpg

20170422_094136.jpg

You have a 65/66 A Body PS box - dead giveaway is the 5/8th return line. The pulley for the PS pump actually bolts to the front of the crank (alternator) pulley. It looks like the pump you have is incorrect from the pic - I'll see if I can dig a slant pump out for a picture after I eat

Looks like you have a Saginaw pump from a later set up, possible slant 6. A 65 most likely came with a TRW pump - looks a bit like the Federal pump from the late 60's - early 70's. That's not to say your pump won't work, although I did not see a pulley on your pump. The saginaw pump is actually a better, more reliable one than either the TRW or Federal pump. You need at least a 2 groove crank pulley. Nothing wrong with the power steering box you have, just from the look of it. If you don't find your answers here check out Slantsix.org and they can set you up. Slant Six Forum

Yep that's the wrong pump and your missing the return line nipple on the box. The pump you have is 72- up and I'm not sure what that U shaped bracket is on the back of it.

I have a nice factory box from a 67 which has the earlier smaller pitman arm spline than the later box.

I just took these pics of the "2 groove" pulleys. The outer bolts to the inner alternator pulleywith 3 bolts. If there was another pulley to the inside of that inner pulley, it would be for the AC. The 2nd pic is of my PS pump that is used with AC. I found another slant pump but it's a 67 or somewhat later as it has the smaller 3/8 hose fitting
IMG_7147.JPG
IMG_7148.JPG

Yep that's the wrong pump and your missing the return line nipple on the box.

He has the low pressure return nipple but might be missing the high pressure fitting (can't tell even blowing it up on my phone)- might even be broke off!

I have a nice factory box from a 67 which has the earlier smaller pitman arm spline than the later box.

If you swap to Sedanman's box, I'll throw in the 67 pump (just pay the shipping). Don't have any mounting brackets or cap but someone is sure to have them.

He's not missing the return line nipple on his steering box. It's right there in the pic. The high pressure fitting is in place and intact on the box, too, and if the high-pressure line he winds up using has a male end, the fitting on the box can simply be unscrewed and removed, then the male end of the line screws right in -- as described here.

P/S box interchange is '62-'72 A- and B-body.

A '65 would have had either a Thompson or a Saginaw pump, but this is a later-type Saginaw pump. Brackets for the early-type Saginaw pump might or might not accept this later-type pump, I don't recall. Brackets are different for Saginaw vs. Thompson pump, and in some cases with/without Air conditioning. Later brackets are a no-go; they'll put the pump right into the side of the battery (later cars have wider engine bays). The high-pressure line from pump to box differs for Saginaw vs. Thompson pump, too. You have to have the same size return line nipple on pump and box. Large and large or small and small. The nipple on the box is easily changed and not too hard to get hold of if you wind up needing the smaller size with whatever pump you end up using. The pump shown in post № 6 of this thread has a pulley on it that is correct for at least pre-'67 cars with factory A/C (they got the cone-shaped pulley; non-A/C cars got a more or less flat pulley, also used with dealer A/C).

The P/S pump belt drive is either an accessory sheave that bolts to the front of the crank pulley (all years same), or you can use the heavy-duty 3-groove truck crank pulley.

We have a couple of complete set ups from 63 64 dodge plymouth a and b bodys if needed. Start a conversation if you need more info.

He has the low pressure return nipple but might be missing the high pressure fitting (can't tell even blowing it up on my phone)- might even be broke off!

If you swap to Sedanman's box, I'll throw in the 67 pump (just pay the shipping). Don't have any mounting brackets or cap but someone is sure to have them.
You have a 65/66 A Body PS box - dead giveaway is the 5/8th return line. The pulley for the PS pump actually bolts to the front of the crank (alternator) pulley. It looks like the pump you have is incorrect from the pic - I'll see if I can dig a slant pump out for a picture after I eat
If my power steering box is a saginaw, would I be able to buy a pump that a matches the box and put a double groove pully on crank. Would that be the easier thing to do at this point.?? I thank all the response that I have received, I've gotten more info from this forum then 3 weeks on internet.

Looks like you have a Saginaw pump from a later set up, possible slant 6. A 65 most likely came with a TRW pump - looks a bit like the Federal pump from the late 60's - early 70's. That's not to say your pump won't work, although I did not see a pulley on your pump. The saginaw pump is actually a better, more reliable one than either the TRW or Federal pump. You need at least a 2 groove crank pulley. Nothing wrong with the power steering box you have, just from the look of it. If you don't find your answers here check out Slantsix.org and they can set you up. Slant Six Forum

20170422_201302.jpg

20170422_201229.jpg

20170507_192303.jpg

If pump is,useless, is there a pump that I can buy that matches steering box, just trying to make it,as easy as possible. Is the,2 groove pully for crank something still for sale??

Do you sell the pump that goes with the power steering box that is on my car.???
I have 2 65 Darts and was where you are now a few years ago. The body is a singular year so panels and trim can be hard to come by. One is my daily and I have another that I put a 318 in. 15 inch wheels, 8 3/4 diff. factory air/gravel guards/radio delete, 4 wheel discs, and new suspension. I hope it all works. It's been a 6 month project and I can't wait to see how it all gels.

I have an early Saginaw in my Slant and it's definitely a different bracket than the one in the shot. I know the later ones are different because I tried to fix a later Saginaw to an early bracket and it didn't work. You'll definitely have clearance issues with the Saginaw though. I moved the battery to the trunk in my '64, so I can't speak for that clearance, but the body of the pump will hit your strut mount washer (I ground 1/4" off the washer to clear). The pump does work great though, especially if you add some shims to step down the pressure a bit.

TL;DR You're probably better off with the Thompson or Federal pump and bracket. It shouldn't be too hard to find one with the right brackets on eBay or in the FABO for sale forum. Also, when in doubt, always listen to SlantSixDan.

I have an early Saginaw in my Slant and it's definitely a different bracket than the one in the shot. I know the later ones are different because I tried to fix a later Saginaw to an early bracket and it didn't work. You'll definitely have clearance issues with the Saginaw though. I moved the battery to the trunk in my '64, so I can't speak for that clearance, but the body of the pump will hit your strut mount washer (I ground 1/4" off the washer to clear). The pump does work great though, especially if you add some shims to step down the pressure a bit.

TL;DR You're probably better off with the Thompson or Federal pump and bracket. It shouldn't be too hard to find one with the right brackets on eBay or in the FABO for sale forum. Also, when in doubt, always listen to SlantSixDan.
Thank you for the help, after all this work , didn't think the power steering was gonna busy my chops like it has.

$_1 (1).JPG

$_1 (2).JPG

In your opinion does that look like the earier version of saginaw pump that would match my steering box??

Again (and again, and again): There is no such thing as a "steering pump that would match your steering box". The steering box does not know or care what kind of pump is feeding it. What you need to worry about is physical compatibility of the pump and brackets with your car and your engine: will it fit.

I have 2 65 Darts and was where you are now a few years ago. The body is a singular year so panels and trim can be hard to come by. One is my daily and I have another that I put a 318 in. 15 inch wheels, 8 3/4 diff. factory air/gravel guards/radio delete, 4 wheel discs, and new suspension. I hope it all works. It's been a 6 month project and I can't wait to see how it all gels.
How was putting a 318 in the 65 Dart?? Did you run across any major problems. I was thinking of doing the same thing.??

Sorry everyone, it's my first time on a forum and didn't know I could ( start a conservation with just one person) my apologies, I thank everyone that gave me info , I didn't mean to offend anyone. I been finding out that it's tough to get information over the past 3 months.

There is NOTHING wrong with using a Saginaw pump. Just because it might not have originally come on your car in '65 doesn't mean it's wrong. If it fits, if it works, and is a good pump, use it. Your car and your steering box won't know the difference. Mopars have used MANY different makes of pump, from slant sixes to big blocks, over the years.

Right -- the problem is the brackets are different. I switched to that style of later Saginaw pump on my 67 Barracuda slant six, and I had to find a different bracket for it. So I can tell you it is different. Otherwise, worked great, same hose, no problem. I got the bracket by a Parts Wanted ad right here. Try it.

-
Back