Need help asap (harmonic balancer)!!!!

-

muddog

Reaction score
ok fabo brothers and sisters, i got an 1978 360 engine that was completely gone thru, heres my ?, it was internally balanced and set up for an automatic transmission, now im swapping it in to my 72 dart with an A833 4 speed, what balancer do i need to use, the automatic 1 is 8.9 lbs and ounces, and the manual 1 calls for the 12.2 lbs and ounce balancer, does anybody no which 1 i should use as4 like i originally said it was balanced for the automatic!!!!

It was internally balanced... so you would use an internally balanced damper and flywheel. It takes a bit of work and mallory metal to internally balance a 360. Have a pic of the balancer you used on it when it ran?

If it has a scallop in it, the rotating assembly likely wasn't internally balanced.
HillbillyTimingtape001.jpg

The balancer on the front of the engine isn't going to change because you changed transmission.

yes your right 66plyValiant just found that out from another fabo buddy, now that i no that what balancer should i use ?, like ken just told me it is externally balanced just like what you said, but he did remind me that there is an specific flywheel for a 360 so my ? is 12.2 manual or 8.9 automatic?, i have 2 option here need best advice!!!!!!

Where are you getting the info on balancers? To the best of my knowledge, there is an early/non magnum and a magnum balancer... transmission has nothing to do with the balancer.

in the different parts book, it calls for different balancer depending on application, manual or automatic!!!!! i'll give summit a call tomorrow and ask there tech!!!!!!! looking at ur picture crackedback mine doesnt have that notch in it!!!!

I've never saw a diferent balancer used for auto vs. manual. The flywheel is different of course. Like Rob said there's the pre magnum (actually 2 versions of it but the offset of the weight was the same, just a different design) and non magnum balancers and that's it.

yah i here yuh, theres 2 different parts number, 1 for automatic and 1 for manual, im baffled now!!!!!!!!

But shouldn't they both be balanced for the 360?If one is lighter it shouldn't matter on the crank.It probably has something to do with the flywheel.If you have the auto one and want to try it put it on and see if it shakes and if it does go get the manuel one.i've never heard of 2 different ones either.You sure one isn't for a cast crank and the other for a forged crank?I don't recall a 360 having a forged crank tho.

yah i here yuh, theres 2 different parts number, 1 for automatic and 1 for manual, im baffled now!!!!!!!!

Good ole Ma making it hard on us, LOL... I don't doubt there's 2 part #'s but for the life of me I can't see how it'd make a difference since all LA 360's require the same amount of offset balance weight.

ok fabo brothers and sisters, i got an 1978 360 engine that was completely gone thru, heres my ?, it was internally balanced and set up for an automatic transmission, now im swapping it in to my 72 dart with an A833 4 speed, what balancer do i need to use, the automatic 1 is 8.9 lbs and ounces, and the manual 1 calls for the 12.2 lbs and ounce balancer, does anybody no which 1 i should use as4 like i originally said it was balanced for the automatic!!!!

I would think you'd use the balancer you have on it now. I bet those are for externally balance motors, yours is now balanced internally. I had my motor balanced externally and had the flywheel balanced with the rotating assembly at the same time. Check with your machine shop, but I bet you just need to use a nuetral balance flywheel and the existing balancer.

yes your right 66plyValiant just found that out from another fabo buddy, now that i no that what balancer should i use ?, like ken just told me it is externally balanced just like what you said, but he did remind me that there is an specific flywheel for a 360 so my ? is 12.2 manual or 8.9 automatic?, i have 2 option here need best advice!!!!!!

theres only one amount of weight for the LA 360 flywheel; now I'm not sure if there is a different tooth count for some of them

the harmonic balancer doesn't matter if its auto or manual as the flywheel for standard is balanced the same as a automatic torque converter

-
Back