Need help buying exhaust!!!!

-

Dusterdude72

IN MOPAR MUSCLE MAGAZINE
Reaction score
Ok guys.....I have a 1972 duster with a 318 LA block and 904 tranny.

My springs have been relocated inward with the welded in leaf mounts.

I have summit long tube headers on my car.

I am looking at the summit 2.5" header back exhaust system that included mufflers and all pipe and hangers and all that good stuff.

I have a couple questions though for everyone that I am hoping can be answered.

question #1- Since I have summit header and this is the summit header back kit made for my duster.....will it be a direct bolt in match up? I don't want to have to take it into a shop and have it rebent up or something stupid like that LOL.

question #2- since my springs have been re located inward ,will that interfear with the exhausts routing position? or is the (common) spring relocation not far enough inward that I need to worry about any interference?

question #3- has anyone here ran with this exhaust set up and do they have any comments they would like to mention? also what kind of sound does it produce? any videos?,how is the fitment of this system in our A-bodies?

question #4- what kind of power gains (if any) would I be looking at from this particular set up and is 2.5" good for my combo? ( 318 punched over to a 323 with dish poly pistons (semi hemi's) ,milled high compression 1967 318 heads,mild cam,long tube headers,edelbrock dual plane intake,edelbrock 600 cfm 4 barrel,2200 tci stall and a few other odds and ends).

Hope I gave enough info and that someone can give me the answers I am looking for.

Also, funds are low so this summit system is about all I can afford, I would eventual bump up to some different mufflers but for now they will have to suffice.

Thanks!

here are the links to my set up....

HEADERS I HAVE- http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G9040/

EXHAUST SYSTEM I AM LOOKING AT- http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-680144/

Wouldn't it be better to just bring it into a shop that will custom bend up all the pipes for you and hang em up nice under the car? I had a Summit exhaust on my Duster and it was OK when I first installed it but after a few years i realized i got what I paid for when it started to slowly get old and decrepit. I just recently took my Duster into a shop that bends up the pipes on site and they tore off my old exhaust and ran all new custom bent pipe from the headers back and put on 2 new Flowmasters and chrome tips. Car sounds GREAT and the final bill was not too bad $475.00 They also used all welded hangers and the exhaust looks awesome tucked up under the car nice and pretty!!! They used 2.5" pipe and I have noticed a considerable increase in power with the new system. I also have recently changed out my transmission to a TCI Streetfighter 904 with a 2800 stall converter. Man what a difference when I punch it on the highway. She takes off like a rocket!!!

Thanks for chiming in buddy.......although $475.00 sounds like a great deal for what you got!......thats just out of my price range right now, plus at the moment the car isnt round worthy enough to drive to a shop....not to mention there arent any local shops that I would trust laying a finger on my vehicle!!!

its about a $250.00 set up with tax's and shipping and what not which is about what I can afford to spend for exhaust at the moment.

which is alot cheaper than I could get a system bent up for around here and locally that probably would just barely cover the pipe let alone the mufflers and what not. (not many good exhaust shops around here and what ones we do have they charge a ton and they have so shotty welders).

so I was hoping to get this kit and run it and maybe a year down the road pop in some nice performance mufflers.

just for the price....for me, it sounds like the way to go.

Biggest thing i would like to know is fitment with my set up.

Mine fit well, had to tweak the pipes a little to get them to seat to the collectors but in all it was a decent fit.

Thanks for letting me know , I appreciate it.

anyone know about fitment when it comes to me spring being relocated?

I am going to buy this exhaust as soon as I can get the answers to the questions that are on my mind.

Thanks again guys , I appreciate the help

anyone else care to chime in? Someone has to have the answers to these questions lol

I have the Summit 2.5 inch exhaust on my 1972 Duster 340. I think they are really nice. Had to cut out about 4-6 inched out of the middle of the front passenger pipe, but that did not sway my opinion on it. Sure, you could spend $500.00 on a custom bent exhaust and get a nice set up (or not) depending on the skill of the guy bending the pipes.
Now for the bad news. They probably won't fit on the rear of your car as the tail pipes mount right in the middle of the rear frame rail.

I still have to run a new/different exhaust system on my Demon. I want to include the chrome tips, but since my rear springs are relocated it will require custom bending.

Dang I was hoping that there would not be any troubles with the springs.

Anyone else with spring re-locations ran into this before?

Your looking at custom tailpipes w/ the relo kit....

Had my exhaust done by a buddy that owns Muffler Man for $180...included a H pipe and tailpipes. Kept my headpipes...but if I need them it'd only be about $230....moral is, find a buddy who knows a shop etc....and you can find a pretty good deal about the cost of the kit!

I decided to go ahead and order the kit.

I figured at the worst I can atleast put a set of dumps behind the mufflers until I can get tail pipes bent up to work with my spring set up.

atleast then I will have pipe from headers to mufflers rather than running open header like I am now and not making any friends with the neighbors LOL

-
Back