need help deciding which route to go...Thanks

-

joemoy29

Reaction score
Hello so i am building a 70 dart that i want to be a handling machine. I already have hotchkis sway bars and springs, bilstien shocks and all that good stuff. Now its time for disc brakes on all 4. I originally have 9" drum brakes so here are my three options

Doctor diff route- ($1500-1800) 11.75 " rotors. need to either get larger control arms, and or change my existing ball joints top and bottom with new bushings, (all part of the total picture anyway) Still use heavy rotors and calipers. One piston Calipers i believe???

Ebay- mcb ($1600) Comes with new control arms all ball joints, bushings , bolts and stainless lines pads, master cyl and prop valve, also has ebrake cables. has vented and drilled rotors but only 11". Still heavy and one piston calipers

Wilwood- ($1400) bolts on my front drum spindles, Four piston calipers and everything is light weight. I still have to rebuild my whole front end with new ball joints, bushings, etc . Still need flex brake lines

I am not trying to be a professional race car, but i am not sure how one piston calipers and heavy original weight equipment sounds to me. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Joseph

Doing the same on my 68 GTS. I went with the later year dart 73 and up option,front only. I was able to buy some real nice slotted and vented rotors on Rock Auto by Centric. Point is, if you use the late mopar stuff with single piston calipers and drive your car regularly, you can get the replacement parts easily/locally and less expensive. Hope that helps.

75% of your braking will be provided by your front discs,i'd leave the rear drums and parking brake alone
..hard to beat the '73 up manual single piston mopar discs,and the 10.87" are fine with the 2 3/4" calipers

Take a look at the AR Engineering site. Viper calipers?

Doing the same on my 68 GTS. I went with the later year dart 73 and up option,front only. I was able to buy some real nice slotted and vented rotors on Rock Auto by Centric. Point is, if you use the late mopar stuff with single piston calipers and drive your car regularly, you can get the replacement parts easily/locally and less expensive. Hope that helps.

I did what Mitch did but I used the Centric 11.75 rotors for a Cordoba and bought Wilwood light weight 4 piston calipers and adapters. Dan

I understand that the fronts do most of the work but is the weight savings of the rotating assembly worth anythibg. I don't have current drums on my 8 3/4 so I need to buy something. I can't justify spending any money on brand new drums and backing plates

I'm going with Doctor Diff's kit, but I got his 13" disc brake kit with the fake Brembo's. I already installed the rear 11.7" kit with Cobra calipers. I'm going to start the fronts maybe next week. What I like about his rear kit is it can use the factory tapered bearings which tend to have a longer life than the Green bearings.

However, since it doesn't seem like your budget was as high as mine (practically non-existent) I would say you should probably do Wilwood's in the front and Dr Diff in the back. That way you still have a lightweight 4 piston brake up front with a good 1 piston caliper in the rear. If you don't like the mismatch, I'd say either all Dr Diff or all Wilwood would be fine.

Attachments

• 13 inch disc brake mach up.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 150
  • caliper spacer and foam gasket.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 133
  • axles in.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 161
  • rotors on.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 8.75 done almost.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 155
  • disc brake in car.jpg