Need help decoding

-
Concur with date code. I believe it also means it came from a car built at Hamtramck, MI in 1971. In 1971 pretty sure they were building Darts, Valiants, Barracudas, & Challengers there (maybe others, not sure). It would've been the 326583rd car off the line.

jck, generally each factorys vins started at 100001. So it would have been the 226582nd car from the hamtramck factory.

So what is the the best way putting the double interlock style side cover back in place?because I'm getting, I mean my dad is getting frustrated and being a cry baby.

I got pretty frustrated with this as well.

I removed the 3-4 fork from its race and inserted its pin into the side cover hole and "locked" it in with its interlock. I had the 1-2 fork still situated on its race. Then I position the side cover such that the 3-4 fork goes into its race and the 1-2 fork pin is starting into its hole. The sidecover is close to seated at this point. I used a slim wrench through the remaining opening to hold the 1-2 interlock lever "open" until the side cover can be pressed down enough to more fully engage the 1-2 pin, pull the slim wrench out, and push the side cover down. I'm sure there is a more correct/appropriate method and/or tool, but this worked for me.

Not sure about your Reverse detent spring, but mine was also part of the side cover assembly. Don't forget it.

-
Back