Need Help Finding SRT 10 Engine Dimensions

-

demon34071

FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well after a couple long days / weeks of brain storming price shopping, and tons of internet searches. Not to mention joining several other sites hoping to find the info I was looking for..I sit here striking out. So its time to ask the FABO machine to see who can help me out...

I am looking for the following on SRT 10 engines:
-Overall dimensions (meaning length front to rear, height, etc)
-I have read these motors are based on a small block with 2 extra cylinders? can anyone confirm this?
-I am comparing the motor mount location from the front of the motor? SRT 10 to 340/360 small block. (trying to determine if the extra cylinder is to the rear or front or split
-has anyone had any experience with the 48RE Auto trans that came behind the SRT 10 Dodge ram's -- This could be a nice OD trans to use?
-Has anyone used P-Ayr fiberglass mock up blocks, they have a SRT10 one that i cam considering buying for mock up purposes.

THE PLAN: Very loose at the moment, but money wise (since I do not build motors) its about a wash between buying a Gen 3 or Gen 4 SRT10 motor with built 48RE trans, drop in 500+ - 600Hp with an Auto OD.

All of this in a Custom Pro Touring Dodge Demon, with a MAD DART special rear 4-link, and a Alt K front end, big wheels, tires, and brakes.

Ambitious??? YES -- WOW factor.....VERY VERY VERY HIGH!!!

I know some say they've seen these motors in an A-body, but search has produced zero clear pictures that show it done. Some say you have to move the fire wall, other articles say no if you make custom offset motor mounts? Any thoughts on doing it with out moving the firewall? I'm smoothing my firewall , but if I am certain I have to cut it I won't bother at the moment.

Swiss, any of your old research info you still have from when you considered this for your dart would be AWESOME. PS, welcome back to the states!

Any help, thoughts, pointing me the direction I may need for research is greatly appreciated.

the listed dimensions of the viper engine and the dodge 440

top to bottom: viper: 26", 440: 30.5"
front to rear: viper: 34.5", 440: 29"
width across valve covers: viper: 23", 440: 20.5"

the listed dimensions of the viper engine and the dodge 440

top to bottom: viper: 26", 440: 30.5"
front to rear: viper: 34.5", 440: 29"
width across valve covers: viper: 23", 440: 20.5"

... That's a start, especially since we all know a 440 will fit. Thanks!!!

try searching onb all par.com or do a google search on viper engine

I always seem to forget about allpar.com -- Thanks for reminding me. . . . Quick search on there is producing a lot of reading.

For those interested: I found (3) good sources for used Viper motors:
clevelandpickapart
X2 Builders
XVipers

Both have low mile used engine/trans packages that come with everything you (engine, trans, all harnesses, computers etc)
Gen3 - 06 - $8400 -- (That's freaking cheap for 500HP and a 6spd)
Gen4 - 08 - $12600 -- (That's really freaking cheap for 600HP and a 6spd)
(Prices are from XVipers)

If you want to go automatic then you can get a 48RE (auto) out of a Dodge Ram SRT10 -- Built to handle the Gen4 would be $2795, but most of the places will work out a deal on the engine/trans combo if they keep the 6spd.

I would love to see you go about this build... I always thought it be awesome to have a "viper demon"

Devil and the snake head? hell yeah...kickin ***!

I would love to see you go about this build... I always thought it be awesome to have a "viper demon"

Devil and the snake head? hell yeah...kickin ***!

Well that is the game plan, gathering info now and working towards it.

I always seem to forget about allpar.com -- Thanks for reminding me. . . . Quick search on there is producing a lot of reading.

For those interested: I found (3) good sources for used Viper motors:
clevelandpickapart
X2 Builders
XVipers

Both have low mile used engine/trans packages that come with everything you (engine, trans, all harnesses, computers etc)
Gen3 - 06 - $8400 -- (That's freaking cheap for 500HP and a 6spd)
Gen4 - 08 - $12600 -- (That's really freaking cheap for 600HP and a 6spd)
(Prices are from XVipers)

If you want to go automatic then you can get a 48RE (auto) out of a Dodge Ram SRT10 -- Built to handle the Gen4 would be $2795, but most of the places will work out a deal on the engine/trans combo if they keep the 6spd.

dont feel bad i forget about all par most of the time my self,, you could call it DEMON-VENOM

Keep us posted or email what you discover, I have this thought in my head for my 67 Dart....

WOW, just saw this thread for the first time. Unfortunately I have NONE of my info now that I'm back in Switzerland, sorry. Have you made any progress on it? You should be able to do this without moving the firewall but you will likely have to move the radiator into the core support. You'll also likely need a custom oil pan but I'm sure Charlie's can set you up. I hope you make this happen, I'd love to see it. You are right, many say it exists, but I haven't seen it, and I looked long and hard too. I will say this, it's tough getting Viper "stuff" to fit...

kinda depends how far accessories stick out.... I assume thats front of the block, not a complete engine assembly?

Keep us posted or email what you discover, I have this thought in my head for my 67 Dart....

I have been gathering up information on this topic, actually getting people to give up their information is very difficult. Some have tossed pages at me, others won't give me any details... Once I have more to post I will get around to posting, it...... all I can post right now is it is going to cost a ton to pull it off and every time I have a problem solved on this swap I talk to the next company on the list and new problem pops up. ha ha ha ha Thank god MoparAl is making great progress on the shell of the Demon...gives me hope I will finish the car someday.

kinda depends how far accessories stick out.... I assume thats front of the block, not a complete engine assembly?

With accessories -- the V10 is 10" longer than a normal V8 -- If you keep the radiator in the stock position then you need to move the firewall back 6" -- a simple tape ruler proves this -- and thanks to the information good for providing it to me!

It is (basically) a 360 with 2 cylinders added on or a 3.9 with 4 cylinders added.

If you figure out how much room there is between the water pump and the rad on a 318/340/360 compared to a big block then add 5 inches to the big block, you will see what I am getting at.

It is (basically) a 360 with 2 cylinders added on or a 3.9 with 4 cylinders added.

If you figure out how much room there is between the water pump and the rad on a 318/340/360 compared to a big block then add 5 inches to the big block, you will see what I am getting at.

Its not that simple -- I (and many others) tried to do it your way and everyone got similar numbers -- Then (I) asked someone who actually measured a V10 viper motor (WITH) all of the front mount accessories and it is longer than the way you are trying to work out the dimension. Best way to get the dimension is a good old fashion tape ruler and a motor, which is what the person who gave me the dimensions did.

The big catch on these motors are the accessories. Have a look at one and you'll see what I'm getting at. The accessory system is MASSIVE! I don't know what they weight compared to a small block or big block, but if I recall they were 150 lbs or so more than the Hemi, and a big chunk of that is in front of the front axle centerline. I applaud you for doing it, but that was the deal breaker for me; power to weight...

The big catch on these motors are the accessories. Have a look at one and you'll see what I'm getting at. The accessory system is MASSIVE! I don't know what they weight compared to a small block or big block, but if I recall they were 150 lbs or so more than the Hemi, and a big chunk of that is in front of the front axle centerline. I applaud you for doing it, but that was the deal breaker for me; power to weight...

swiss -- power to weight isn't an issue at all for me, but I read how it was for you. I read all your posts when you where considering it and you had an issue with the motor hanging too far in front of the front wheel centerline.

Size wise the motor is narrower than a small block (not by much) but 10" longer due to extra cylinder and front accessories. All of the accessories are very similar to the new hemi's (all serpentine, and all hung low in the front)

My biggest issue right now is the location of the motor mounts in relationship to the where they are on a small block. I have seen pics of different V10 motors with the mounts in (2) locations. One being closer to the front of the motor (like a small block) and a couple pics of them being closer to the middle. This may the difference between Gen 1,2,3,4 V10 motors, but no one can confirm for me. I think it may be bad pictures since all of the Viper Gen motors show they can swap out for each other.

I am planning a trip up to Cleveland Pic A Part once the bad winter weather breaks in order to get some more information on these motors and dimensions. So that trip will be worth its weight in gold. By then MoparAL should have most of my Demon's shell repairs wrapped up along with my rear triangulated 4 link in, with any luck the bulk of my AlterK front end either ordered or on its way to me.

The big stall on this project is going to be lumping down the big COIN for the V10 engine and trans. Game plan is to have as much of the car mock / fabrication done before I actually buy the motor. So with any luck the car will be ready to start working on the viper motor will be ready in early 2012.

Nothing to speak of as of yet..... The following was all done by Mopar Al over the winter/spring:

Set the ride right
triangulated 4 link - installed
New sheet metal - installed
**both full floor pans
**custom sub frame connectors
**custom front rad support frame connector
**patched numerous bad sheet metal sections
**filled all holes in floor and frame not being used
**full trunk center pan
**left & right trunk extensions
**trunk lock support
**rear stk cross member & extensions

Just brought the car home for the summer a couple weeks ago and have been to busy to get any other work done on it.

Game plan is later this month I am going to Cleveland pick a part to get some viper motor dimensions / pictures.

Otherwise still gathering parts and info as this project is still a go, just cautiously hedging my investment to be built as either the Viper SRT V10 or a stroker small black as a back up.

Have you bought the motor yet? If not, call Paul at Don Scharf Automotive. I just talked to him yesterday about a Gen 3 V10...

Do a search on the VCA or Viper Alley forums about XVipers and X2. I contacted both as well but just for a point of reference. I also connected with Pick-a-Part but they are continuously overpriced. I bought all my Viper stuff from Paul and will continue to do so...

-
Back