need help! gauge cluster!

-

Metal bee 68

Reaction score
I have a 68 dart 270. And when I got it the gauges were out. Now I have no clue how to get it back in? The speedometer hump on the bottum won't let the whole thing fit. Any help!?

Drop the steering column. It kind of has to tilt in with the speedometer housing going in first and the tilting it down. There is also a wiring harness in the dash where the speedo housing goes so watch for that as it tends to get in the way.

Make sure you disconnect the battery while you are working on it as the Alt Gauge wiring is live 12V and easy to ground.

Just a thought, since the cluster is out, would be a good time to do the 5V gauge regulator upgrade.

I modified my gauge cluster on my 71 so I can pull the bezel off first, then the gauge cluster comes out. Made it much easier as doing it as one unit it a major PITA. I also lengthen all the wiring harnesses so it comes out without me having to reach underneath to remove the harnesses first...but that's another story.

I've been through this so many times in the past couple years I can do it with my eyes closed. Let me know if you have questions.

I am swapping out the original gauges for aftermarkets and won't need this any more.
guageregulator.jpg

I'll do $10.00 plus the trip if you want.
It's in the car right now, but coming out soon.
I did extensive research on this for my car and can help you out with info about it if ya want/need it.
Best would be email me at gregatletsgocomputers.com (obviously @ instead of at)

Drop the steering column. It kind of has to tilt in with the speedometer housing going in first and the tilting it down. There is also a wiring harness in the dash where the speedo housing goes so watch for that as it tends to get in the way.

Make sure you disconnect the battery while you are working on it as the Alt Gauge wiring is live 12V and easy to ground.

Just a thought, since the cluster is out, would be a good time to do the 5V gauge regulator upgrade.

I modified my gauge cluster on my 71 so I can pull the bezel off first, then the gauge cluster comes out. Made it much easier as doing it as one unit it a major PITA. I also lengthen all the wiring harnesses so it comes out without me having to reach underneath to remove the harnesses first...but that's another story.

I've been through this so many times in the past couple years I can do it with my eyes closed. Let me know if you have questions.

-
Back