Need Help Getting Fired Up

-

elmedico

Reaction score
I have a fresh 318 just installed in my 70 Dart. I am having an issue with the wiring harness in the dash which I will address later on.

In the meantime, I want to be able to get the engine to fire without having to use the key in the column. I can obviously get it to crank with a screwdriver on the starter.

My question is, what do I need to do to to get spark? Are there jumpers I can put somewhere on the engine harness to get spark going? Please help as the project is stalled until I can get this going!

Thanks!

Eric

If you are still running points you just need to run a jumper wire from the battery to the ballast resistor (up stream side with the blue wires attached). If you have switched to the mopar electronic ignition then you will need a second wire from the battery to the blue power leand on the ecu module.

Thanks - I have the wiring harness from Year One with no solid blue wire - a sky blue wire with a yellow stripe. Looking at the ECU with the point at the top, which wire/connection would it be? I have converted to electronic...

Thanks-

Eric

on the ecu (2) of the wires go to the distributor, (1) wire goes to the coil. The other wire is the power for the ecu. That's the one you need. If you have a 5 pin ecu there should already be a wire going back to the hot side of the dual resistor ballast. Alw you need to do is make sure on the other side that both pins are tied together.

OK... I have a 5 pin ECU - I found the two distributor wires and the coil wire. It looks like one of the others goes to the 4 pin ballast resistor (Does it matter which side connects to which on the ECU)? Now, where do I run the jumper of the battery? Sorry to sound like an idiot :)

Great diagram... thanks! So the long and short of it is do I run a line direct from the battery to the ECU or to the hot on the ballast resistor?

As long as it is 12V it doesn't matter. But please put a fuse of some sort in between. Something like a 10A should be okay.

OK - I have 12V at the ECU and 12V at the ballast resistor - Not quite sure I have the coil right. I have the blck/yellow wire going to the negative on the coil. For rough hot wiring purposes, can I run right from the battery to the positive on the coil?

Also, does it matter which side of the resistor I've got those wires connected to?

dgc-

Do you know of any shops around here (I am in Raynham) that will do decent electrical work. I am at a loss with this thing - 12 hours this weekend and no progress at all.

Eric

There's a guy in Pembroke that has a shop specializing in hot-rod wiring. I believe I have his card on my bulletin board at home. If I do I will post his name and number.

It's Mike Kelble, "Mike's Hot Rod Garage" 781-294-1288, C: 781-718-3070.

I believe his shop is at his house. I know some people that he has done work for and they have been very happy.

-
Back