Need help identifying brakes please

-

billkrz

Reaction score
Hello. I have a 1968 Dart and the brakes were changed to discs and larger rear drums from the original power drums. I need help identifying what I have. The previous owner thought the brakes were from a later Dart but I do not think so. Also, the master was not changed from the original. I have not driven the car yet so I can't tell you how they perform. The brakes have the following codes stamped into them: KH8 8186. The discs are about 10.75 in diameter, the disc pads use pins. Can someone tell me what they are from, please?
Also, the rear brakes were changed but I'll start with the fronts first. I will attempt to upload three photos which will help, I'm sure. By the way, that's chalk on the caliper!
Thanks in advance. Bill

Caliper drivers back.jpg

Drivers caliper front.jpg

Drivers caliper side.jpg

The "Pin Type" caliper used on some 72 & up models. My 72 & 73 chargers uses these.

Thanks. I have a further question, then. According to what I've read, the disc rotors were changed on B bodies to 1 piece in 1973. I'm assuming that the rotors I have are the 2 piece if someone could verify this from the photos.
If mine are the 2 piece, and assuming the fellow got them from the same car, then it seems that I have a 70-72 disc brake set-up from an B or E body car.
Does everyone agree with this?
Thanks, Bill

Thanks. I have a further question, then. According to what I've read, the disc rotors were changed on B bodies to 1 piece in 1973. I'm assuming that the rotors I have are the 2 piece if someone could verify this from the photos.
If mine are the 2 piece, and assuming the fellow got them from the same car, then it seems that I have a 70-72 disc brake set-up from an B or E body car.
Does everyone agree with this?
Thanks, Bill

that sounds right. the calipers are definitely b/e body. if the rotors are 4.5" bolt pattern, then they are b/e rotors as well.

Thanks, guys. Yes, you are correct, the bolt pattern is 4 1/2 inches.
Next, I'll post a photo of my rear brakes. They are drums and the drums are 11 inch diameter and 3 inches in depth. The drum is stamped Centrifuse M 35681. The lining on the shoes are 2 1/4 inches wide. I'm guessing they are the heavy duty B/E body option which were 11x 2 1/2.
Anyone have an opinion?

One has a spring and the other does not. Any idea what this spring does?
Thanks again,
Bill

rear drum.jpg

it s a singing spring. it keeps the drum from singing(squealing) when the friction of the shoes are against it which can cause it to crack. they put bands around drums/rotors when they get turned to avoid this.

Doesn't look like the 70-72 B/E body caliper. What is shown is a "pin type", also called floating caliper, as Redfastbackmentioned. The older B body caliper was used on 73-76 A-body & had machined "ways" that the pads rode on. Supposedly the A-body inherited the caliper from the There is a retainer on each end of the caliper that keeps the pads in place. This type of unit was called a sliding caliper. From what I can tell, both were made by Kelsey-Hayes. The retainer was attached to the caliper with a short bolt. I don't see a place for the bolt to attach on the photos provided.

Doesn't look like the 70-72 B/E body caliper. What is shown is a "pin type", also called floating caliper, as Redfastbackmentioned. The older B body caliper was used on 73-76 A-body & had machined "ways" that the pads rode on. Supposedly the A-body inherited the caliper from the There is a retainer on each end of the caliper that keeps the pads in place. This type of unit was called a sliding caliper. From what I can tell, both were made by Kelsey-Hayes. The retainer was attached to the caliper with a short bolt. I don't see a place for the bolt to attach on the photos provided.

when you refer to the "older b body caliper", are you talking about pre 70? 70-72 b/e use pin mount calipers. the pre 70 b body calipers were 4 piston bendix calipers. pre 68 c bodies had 4 piston budd calipers. a bodies shared kelsey hayes calipers with mustangs and corvettes. in fact a 66 cuda and a 66 mustang both use a d11 pad.

Thanks for everyone's input. Now that it seems I have 1970-72 B/E body front discs and HD 11x2 1/2 rear drums, I need a recommendation as to master cylinder as the Dart still has the master cylinder for a drum car and I've read that this is not a good idea. Right?
I'll start a new thread for this called "need Master Cylinder Recommendation".
Bill

Thanks. Regarding the 73-78 B body recommendation, will this bolt up to my '68 power booster? Also, do I still need an inline proportioning/balance valve or is this built in?
Bill

yes. it will bolt up. you need to get either a stock prop valve or and aftermarket adjustable valve.

-
Back