Need help identifying something military related

-

Righty Tighty

Blame it on the dog
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a tool chest with tools included, and found this in the box. The seller knew nothing about any of its contents, the chest was left by previous owners.

To me, it looks like a letter opener, but the blade is 12” long. The handle is engraved “Colonel Edgar H. Ribler, Ordnance Corps, U.S. Army.”

With the info the seller of the tool chest gave, I assume this belonged to the deceased owner of the home. I would like to find his family and give it back, but I’m also curious as to what it is.
2593DCA9-E8E0-48C6-88C9-D2DE481A3D91.jpeg
0D86E3AF-AAEB-41FA-84AA-DE0F36EA2433.jpeg
92CCBE31-8E17-4958-A9E1-9868E7B78EBB.jpeg

Swagger stick ?

One of the WWII leaders always had one, but the name escapes me

(edit) it was Patton, but he had a riding crop

Last edited:
It was well known Patton had a swagger stick with a concealed blade similar to this.

Swagger stick, Yes.

I believe common among the Brits but an officer's item most certainly. I would guess a gift given to the officer named as he departed whichever organization he was affiliated with.

Found this @Righty Tighty
I think it's a K not an R in that old style print (reminds me of very early German)

Kibler, Edgar H. Cadet son of Dr. Edgar H. Kibler of 1807 College Street in Newberry was made a Cpl. in the Corps of Cadets of the US Military Academy at West Point, New York. Details, Observer 6/19/1931, p1

Swagger stick, Yes.

I believe common among the Brits but an officer's item most certainly. I would guess a gift given to the officer named as he departed whichever organization he was affiliated with.

Yup. My Grandad, a Royal Flying Corps Flight Lieutenant in 1919.
FB_IMG_1462062662100.jpg

Looks like 2nd LT Edgar Kibler's first duty station was in the Panama Canal Zone with the Coastal Artillery.

Coastal Artillery Journal
November-December 1934

Page 61
Other incoming officers include Major Meade Wildrick, Captain Bartlett, Captain Austin, QMC, Cap¬ tain Hill, S.C., Captain Gillett, C.W.S., 1st Lieut. Vern Walbridge, 1st Lieut. J. F. Gamber, Luther W. Evans (Chaplain), 1st Lieut. Montgomery B. Raymond, 2nd Lieut. Laurie J. Hillberg, 2nd Lieut. Arthur L. Fuller, Jr., A.D.C., 2nd Lieut. John E. Metzler, 2nd Lieut. Edgar H. Kibler, Jr., 2nd Lieut. William G. Fritz, 2nd Lieut. Robert W. Hain.

DTIC ADA503690: The Coast Artillery Journal. Volume 77, Number 6, November-December 1934 : Defense Technical Information Center : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Looks like 2nd LT Edgar Kibler's first duty station was in the Panama Canal Zone with the Coastal Artillery.

Coastal Artillery Journal
November-December 1934

Page 61
Other incoming officers include Major Meade Wildrick, Captain Bartlett, Captain Austin, QMC, Cap¬ tain Hill, S.C., Captain Gillett, C.W.S., 1st Lieut. Vern Walbridge, 1st Lieut. J. F. Gamber, Luther W. Evans (Chaplain), 1st Lieut. Montgomery B. Raymond, 2nd Lieut. Laurie J. Hillberg, 2nd Lieut. Arthur L. Fuller, Jr., A.D.C., 2nd Lieut. John E. Metzler, 2nd Lieut. Edgar H. Kibler, Jr., 2nd Lieut. William G. Fritz, 2nd Lieut. Robert W. Hain.

DTIC ADA503690: The Coast Artillery Journal. Volume 77, Number 6, November-December 1934 : Defense Technical Information Center : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
Thanks! I’ll be doing some research of my own once I’m out of the shop.

OK... More fun facts and I need to stop or I'll never get out of this rabbit hole.

First Lieutenant Kibler departs Panama for Fort Bragg, NC in 1940

Captain Kibler is the Director of Officers' Courses and Officer Candidate School at the Ordnance Officer Candidate School, Aberdeen Proving, MD in 1943

Col Edgar H. Kibler Jr Was selected to attend the Industrial College of the U.S. Armed Forces in September of 1947. (War Department Press Section release April 7, 1947)

Based on the 1947 - 1948 School Term roster, Kibler came from SS&P Division, War Department General Staff in DC.
SS&P Division "I believe" were the ones assisting Marshall with Post War Europe planning and recovery (??)

Tapping out....

Kibler.jpg

Just had a look on Ancestry.com see picture looks like Luramay Kibler from Boston, Massachusetts died 2002 was Guy Diedrich mother, Edgar was his Grandfather
ae2865?client=TreesUI&maxside=160&imagequality=UltraHighQuality&prescalecroprect=162,207,649,828.jpg

Edgar Haskell Kibler Jr
B:5 Mar 1910 South Carolina

D:Apr 1981 Phoenix, Maricopa, Arizona, USA
looks like he lived 109 mile from you good luck

1950 census is due to be released soon. There might be useful information about any descendants in it. Although there may not be any, which would explain how it was lost in the first place.

Another interesting fact is that Edgars wife was Abbie Smith Patton ,General Smith Patton , her father name is listed as private if you click on the highlighted blue under Edgars name you can contact Guy Diedrich .
could be a connection to General Patton

Wow, this is amazing. I certainly was not expecting anyone to do any research, I simply was curious as to what this thing is.

This is getting interesting! I have drill early tomorrow, so unfortunately I can't contribute tonight, but tomorrow I'm going to see what I can dig up.

GOOD ON YOU FOR THIS!! Truly amazing:usflag::thumbsup:
Found this @Righty Tighty
I think it's a K not an R in that old style print (reminds me of very early German)

Kibler, Edgar H. Cadet son of Dr. Edgar H. Kibler of 1807 College Street in Newberry was made a Cpl. in the Corps of Cadets of the US Military Academy at West Point, New York. Details, Observer 6/19/1931, p1

OK... More fun facts and I need to stop or I'll never get out of this rabbit hole.

First Lieutenant Kibler departs Panama for Fort Bragg, NC in 1940

Captain Kibler is the Director of Officers' Courses and Officer Candidate School at the Ordnance Officer Candidate School, Aberdeen Proving, MD in 1943

Col Edgar H. Kibler Jr Was selected to attend the Industrial College of the U.S. Armed Forces in September of 1947. (War Department Press Section release April 7, 1947)

Based on the 1947 - 1948 School Term roster, Kibler came from SS&P Division, War Department General Staff in DC.
SS&P Division "I believe" were the ones assisting Marshall with Post War Europe planning and recovery (??)

Tapping out....

View attachment 1715871998

Wow, this is amazing. I certainly was not expecting anyone to do any research, I simply was curious as to what this thing is.

This is getting interesting! I have drill early tomorrow, so unfortunately I can't contribute tonight, but tomorrow I'm going to see what I can dig up.

One last hit

Kibler, Edgar H. Jr COL Service Number 019039; Retired 1 November, 1959; Awards: Legion of Merit w/OLC, Bronze Star Medal, Commendation Ribbon w/OLC

DOB 5, March 1910; Retirement Code M1 - 20 or more years of service

U.S. Army Register - Google Books

Kibler 56 Record.jpg

Good luck on your hunt! There is a service called Find a Grave that catalogs old grave yards. With his name and birth and death dates I would bet you could find him. On the site there is a way to leave messages for his family. This is how I was reunited with Civil War correspondence between my great great grandfather and great great grandmother, purchased in a box of old stuff at a yard sale. If you find the grave the cemetery might have contact info for the family.

Thanks to everyone for helping dig up information on Col. Kibler, especially @AUSA66 !! He found his grandson and put me in touch with him. It was very easy to verify without a doubt that he was the right guy, and I'll be mailing the swagger stick to him.

Such a happy ending!!

Thanks to everyone for helping dig up information on Col. Kibler, especially @AUSA66 !! He found his grandson and put me in touch with him. It was very easy to verify without a doubt that he was the right guy, and I'll be mailing the swagger stick to him.

Such a happy ending!!
That's very cool, good on all of you!

-
Back