need help in san jose ca pushrods uuggghh

-

dustya_383

Reaction score
So this is probly the hardest thing I've come across so far. How the hell do I measure for these pushrods I have the hughes 1.6 rockers and have the double adjustable pushrod tool. . . .IS THERE ANYONE IN OR NEAR THE SAN JOSE AREA WHO CAN GIVE ME A HAND WITH THIS??? THE MORE I READ THE INSTRUCTIONS THE MORE I GET FRUSTRATED. THIS IS THE ONLY THING HOLDING ME BACK RIGHT NOW THANKS HELP IS REALLY APPRECIATED pm me or a txt or call 4083097472

STEPHON

Anybody willing to help me out. ..I know this is one of the more crucial parts of the motor so I want to get it right. . . .is it necessary to use a dial indicator to measure the lift and all that or can I just mark the valve tip .bolt rockers down and see if I get a mark thru the center of valve tip?? Also heard no valve lash is needed when going with solid cam and solid lifters. Is this also true??

Correct me if I am wrong. I think you are asking how to find the correct length for your pushrods. Since I assume you have an LA motor with a rocker shaft, your rocker geometry is set already. You just need to make the adjuster mid way through the rocker (equal amounts of thread showing above and below the rocker). The pushrod length is less critical in this type of valve train than the Magnum style rocker. Also check to make sure the pushrod clears the rocker throughout the travel of the rocker. I hope this helps. If you still need help we can try over the phone.

Correct me if I am wrong. I think you are asking how to find the correct length for your pushrods. Since I assume you have an LA motor with a rocker shaft, your rocker geometry is set already. You just need to make the adjuster mid way through the rocker (equal amounts of thread showing above and below the rocker). The pushrod length is less critical in this type of valve train than the Magnum style rocker. Also check to make sure the pushrod clears the rocker throughout the travel of the rocker. I hope this helps. If you still need help we can try over the phone.

Yes that's wat I'm trying to figure out. When I rotate engine with adjustable pushrod all clears so I should just get the roller on the rocker as center as possible on the valve tip and I'm set right?. . Thanks for the reply

Ok quick and easy

1. install all your components including a set of pushrod checking springs and make sure the cam for the lobe your checking on is on the backside (no lift/valve closed)

2. Move the adjuster on the rocker so about 1-2 full turns is showing from the bottom and mark the tip of the valve with something like dyechem or anything that will leave a pattern.

3. rotate the adjustable pushrod all the way till it just contacts both the lifter and rocker cup.

4. spin the motor over a couple full turns looking for anything rubbing or hitting.

5. remove rocker and check pattern.

6. If pattern is good and centered, take the measurement of you pushrod.

7. recheck a couple times and on a diff. cylinder so you know your good.

If everything checks out ok order your pushrods.

Ok quick and easy

1. install all your components including a set of pushrod checking springs and make sure the cam for the lobe your checking on is on the backside (no lift/valve closed)

2. Move the adjuster on the rocker so about 1-2 full turns is showing from the bottom and mark the tip of the valve with something like dyechem or anything that will leave a pattern.

3. rotate the adjustable pushrod all the way till it just contacts both the lifter and rocker cup.

4. spin the motor over a couple full turns looking for anything rubbing or hitting.

5. remove rocker and check pattern.

6. If pattern is good and centered, take the measurement of you pushrod.

7. recheck a couple times and on a diff. cylinder so you know your good.

If everything checks out ok order your pushrods.

Thanks so I was doing it right. . . .what are pushrod checking springs???

I'm also hearing different opinions on measuring with valve lash. Wats the typical valve lash. In my instructions its says set lash for solid cam but I dnt know what my lash should be at. Amd another member says there should be none.This is killin me guys I want to get over this hump already. All help is greatly appreciated thanks

Stephon

I'm also hearing different opinions on measuring with valve lash. Wats the typical valve lash. In my instructions its says set lash for solid cam but I dnt know what my lash should be at. Amd another member says there should be none.This is killin me guys I want to get over this hump already. All help is greatly appreciated thanks

Stephon

Zerolash to check pushrods. Which rockers system do you have? Magnum or LA (shaft)?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-4758-2/ I use ones like these after I had my nice comp-cams pushrod checker snap from the load of the regular valve springs. mostly used for degreeing a cam and checking intalled height.

As far as your valve lash don't worry about it till you get the motor setup. Most solids are somewhere around .020. It should give you a hot lash adjustment in the instructions? Keep in mind when you fire the motor up everything is going to expand a bit. Also as you get more familiar with your engine and how you want it set up those settings are adjustable to your preference.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-4758-2/ I use ones like these after I had my nice comp-cams pushrod checker snap from the load of the regular valve springs. mostly used for degreeing a cam and checking intalled height.

As far as your valve lash don't worry about it till you get the motor setup. Most solids are somewhere around .020. It should give you a hot lash adjustment in the instructions? Keep in mind when you fire the motor up everything is going to expand a bit. Also as you get more familiar with your engine and how you want it set up those settings are adjustable to your preference.

Ok thank you. Now do I HAVE to use the springs? I mean I'm not using double springs so I'm guessing the load wouldn't be to insane to break my checker.

no you can leave the springs in that you have, the cam is already broken in and should be fine.

Saw last night your still having a few issues with the setup. check here http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=42295&highlight=lash+caps and if that doesn't help clear it up there is a local guy over in Morgan Hill. Give a call to Felix or his partner at APM on Jolene. This is the machine shop I have used for my builds. They will be able to help you figure out the correct measurement for lash caps or shaft shims depending on what way your pattern is and get the parts ordered. The key is to get the margin (mark on the valve stem) as narrow and centered as possible.

Saw last night your still having a few issues with the setup. check here http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=42295&highlight=lash+caps and if that doesn't help clear it up there is a local guy over in Morgan Hill. Give a call to Felix or his partner at APM on Jolene. This is the machine shop I have used for my builds. They will be able to help you figure out the correct measurement for lash caps or shaft shims depending on what way your pattern is and get the parts ordered. The key is to get the margin (mark on the valve stem) as narrow and centered as possible.

Thanks a lot ill try giving them a call next week. Thanks for ur help

-
Back